Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,546   Posts: 1,544,521   Online: 1089

Shooter
    Medium Format

Delta 3200 development; HC-110 and Rodinal

I'm referring to 120 format here: After much APUG reading, I bought HC-110, finding Rodinal wasn't much recommended for Delta 3200 at EI3200. My first roll developed grainier than I expected and without the smooth tonality and exposure latitude that I've grown to love with FP4+ and lately, Tmax 400. My technique: dilution B [ 1:31 from syrup ], 24 min. 20C, first minute: frequent stirring, then one 5 sec. agitation per minute - stirring both directions. I'm not after high contrast.

I expect more grain than from the slower films - which really don't have any visible to me in 6"x6" prints. Since I've been having great results with Rodinal at 50+1 and 80+1 dilution, I'm seeking suggestions to direct my next developing experiments. Greater dilution of HC-110? Less agitation? Both? Use Rodinal?

Given enough time, I could work through various permutations. There is such a wealth of generosity and knowledge here, I thought I'd ask for advice. One more thing: Most days, I would have enough film speed [ in my Rolleicord Vb ] at EI 1600, or EI 1000. EI 3200 is useful in twilight and dark fall days, which are the majority here. Thanks in advance.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have used both Rodinal and HC 110 in fairly high concentrations with Delta 3200 @ EI 1250-3200 and I like the gritty results these combinations provide. But if you want smoother tonality and more latitude my suggestion is to use the film closer to its ISO speed of 1000 and develop in Tmax or DDX. These developers are also more suited for push processing if you want to use an EI of 3200 or higher. I find that Ilford’s recommended development times are good starting points provided that you develop for 1 stop faster than the EI you have used (e.g. if you have exposed the film @ 1600 use the time provided for 3200).

Shooter
    35mm
    The Massive Dev Chart lists Delta 3200 in Dil. B. for 14.5 min @ 20C - your time of 24 min seems quite a variance from that. Out of curiousity, where did you see that time?

I'm curious because I'm just about done a roll of (35mm) Delta 3200 myself, and will be using HC-110 as well.
    i can't wait to take a picture of my thumb with this beautiful camera.

- phirehouse, after buying a camera in the classifieds

Shooter
    Medium Format

Develping Delta 3200 as if exposed one stop faster.

Mabman,

Good question. I did not see that time anywhere, I performed an extrapolation, which may be wrong. As Uhner noted above, many people recommend developing Delta 3200 as if it were exposed one stop faster. If exposed at EI3200, develop as if EI6400. I did not find times listed for Dil. B at EI6400 on the Massive Development chart, nor at

http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/hc110/

- a great resource.

From Ilford's site, Digitaltruth.com, and the site above, development times are nearly double for EI6400 compared to IE3200, thus I applied this factor to come up with my time.

From my reading, I note that longer development times lead to higher contrast. I may be asking for too much. Semi-stand development is reputed to ameliorate that tendency, so I may try that, along with reduced time. Finally, HC-110 may not be right for the result I seek. Thanks for your comments.

Shooter
    35mm
    Ah, OK. I've tried the 1 stop-faster development time method before (or rather, had a lab do it for me) with a few films, such as Tri-X, Delta 3200 and Tmax P3200 - I guess it depends on your metering methods, but I've always had significant light-source "flare" when I do that.

I'm going to try it at 14.5 min and see how it goes.

Thanks!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mabman View Post
    Ah, OK. I've tried the 1 stop-faster development time method before (or rather, had a lab do it for me) with a few films, such as Tri-X, Delta 3200 and Tmax P3200 - I guess it depends on your metering methods, but I've always had significant light-source "flare" when I do that.

I'm going to try it at 14.5 min and see how it goes.

Thanks!
    I've used D3200 120 in Rodinal specifically to produce clear, sharp grain - which it does visibly even in a 10x10 enlargement.

D3200 is intrinsically low contrast (makes it suitable for typical available light situations which often consist of high contrast scenes) and I'm surprised you find it has less latitude than FP4. Increasing dev time is common in my experience to avoid having to print with very hard filters (which will emphasise the grain again). A simple suggestion would be D76 (or ID11) and dev for the time for recommended for an EI of 1 stop more (which will be longer). I don't know exactly what you are photographing or how you meter but teher is a good chance this combo will give modest grain and adequate contrast.

Shooter
    35mm
    Possibly it's the way the lab was processing as well - they didn't disclose what there were using exactly, and I didn't press them on it (I was planning on developing my own eventually anyway), but from other places I've read I think they were using Xtol.

At some point I'll try it myself, but the experience has put me off developing 1-stop-over-meter for the time being. Your mileage may vary.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin