Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,908   Posts: 1,556,108   Online: 1233

Shooter
    Multi Format

Paper Storage Dilemma

So I'm a college student, living in dorms. I have less than adequate storage for my paper stock, viz a mini-fridge. Especially pertaining to the storage of my Ektalure, I cannot decide whether it would be preferable to store it standing up at room temp or lying down in the fridge. Comments?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

split the risk

get a spare few old paper packages, and label what you put in them with masking tape. Make a deal with food services, to put the largest part of your stash in the commercial refridgerators, and then only go and ask to get it out every two weeks of so.

Work from the smaller unchilled stock kept in your dorm. If it is B&W don't worry.

If it is in the north part of the northern hemisphere, find a room with a north facing window, and put the paper on the window ledge. That is almost almays the clodest part of any dorm I ever lived in or saw, and usually even colder than the measly little bar fridges fund in most dorm rooms.

Shooter
    35mm
    It may be that if a box is absolutely full and paper still in the lightight wrapping there is enough strength to enable it to stand upright. Maybe, but once you used a few sheets, it's likely to buckle under its own weight and looseness. If there isn't room in the fridge you have a difficult decision but I'd play safe and store it lying down, if at all possible.

Unless the supply chain is very long it might be sensible to buy as you use and avoid the problem of trying to maximise storage space.Really depends on storage time. Can't speak for Ektalure but Ilford papers will store at room temp very well over the normal usage period

pentaxuser

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hey
    I just opened up my first package of Ektalure that expired in 1973
    Tossed it in dektol 1:2 and got no fog. Not enough fog to worry about keeping the paper in the fridge or freezer, anyway. Really, none. Add some benzotriazole -which I don't have myself, yet- and NO fog.
    It's beautiful paper.
    Paper was not kept cold.

Keep it away from heaters.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin