Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,477   Online: 923

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [QUOTE=minoltafan;558101]Jchesky and Confusion thanks for the ideas.

So, 90 degrees from the sun, cool. What about when the sun is directly over your shoulder?

Obviously when you're shooting B&W you're still seeing color in the viewfinder so would you spin the polarizer until you get the darkest sky in the viewfinder?

QUOTE]

When the sun is over your shoulder, you'll get less of an effect. The amount of polarization also depens on how clear the day is; a hot, humid day, less blue sky, less effect.

You spin the polarizer to get the amount of effect. The more you spin, the more you get until the max is reached and then is starts all over again. That's not a great description, but you see when you use it. Sometimes you don't want the full-blown effect as it can look a little too fake.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[quote=minoltafan;558101]Jchesky and Confusion thanks for the ideas.

So, 90 degrees from the sun, cool. What about when the sun is directly over your shoulder?

Obviously when you're shooting B&W you're still seeing color in the viewfinder so would you spin the polarizer until you get the darkest sky in the viewfinder?

QUOTE]

When the sun is over your shoulder, you'll get less of an effect. The amount of polarization also depens on how clear the day is; a hot, humid day, less blue sky, less effect.

You spin the polarizer to get the amount of effect. The more you spin, the more you get until the max is reached and then is starts all over again. That's not a great description, but you see when you use it. Sometimes you don't want the full-blown effect as it can look a little too fake.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Using a polariser with bw will give darker skies (in both bw and colour) and will remove reflections from shiny surfaces like glass or water.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2097/...9307ce99_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2140/...34096566_o.jpg

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    35mm
    You can definitely use a polarizer with black and white. I use it for REALLY dramatic darkening of the skies to emphasize the white clouds. The most dramatic effect is with a polarizer and a red filter. I have read that there is a difference if the polarizer is on top versus the red filter on top, but I haven't really tested it.
    The difference between using a circular polarizer or a plane polarizer is determined by the type of camera you use. Some cameras have a meetering system that is imcompatable with a plane polarizer. I have a Canon F-1n which requires a circular polarizer, but I go ahead and use the circular polarizer with all of my other cameras - A-1, AT-1, Ftb-n, mechanical F-1. Hope that this helps.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K View Post
    ...will remove reflections from shiny surfaces
    like glass or water.
    ... or water or leafs, streams, rocks, and ... . I used
    to carry a linear polarizer, a B+W at that, into the woods
    thinking it a must have. I found though that it can take the
    life out of a landscape rendering it dull, flat, unreal. So use
    with discretion. Much of reflected light is blue so an
    orange such as Hoya's O may do better. Dan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin