Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,879   Posts: 1,520,391   Online: 1015

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Polarizer When Shooter B&W??

Hello all, I'm new to the forum and I'm a film addict and the addiction only increases as the digital "revolution" keeps rolling. I shoot mostly color, but once and a while B&W.

My question is: Can one use a polarizer when shooting B&W film and what, if any, would be the effects?

I usually use a red filter or a ND filter for B&W and a circular polarizer for color.

Thank you in advance for any information!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Polarizers can and do have uses for B+W. There is a darkening effect of blue sky much like using an orange or red filter. For removing reflections, again, they are as useful with B+W as they with color.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You certainly can use them. As Andrew mentioned, reflections are reflections and the utility of the polarizer will be the same. While saturating colours is not all that obviously helpful in B&W, it can affect tonal balances so can be desirable.

I personally prefer to manipulate tone on b&w with coloured filters, and use polarizers to get rid of reflections only.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Why not try a polarizer on your next B&W shoot, and report back the results?
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You most certainly can use a polarizer with b/w film, I often do. I find it to be a good choice between a yellow and red. Remember, it works best when pointed 90 degrees from the sun.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I regularly use a polariser with a yellow filter. You get a significant darkening of the sky similar to using an orange filter but without the same tonal 'distortion'.
    Norman is an island.Time and tide wait for Norman.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you everyone, I appreciate it!! Well, I'm already looking forward to shooting a roll of Tmax with the polarizer......as soon as I finish the roll of Velvia 50 that's in my camera now.

Film Forever.

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Yes, you can use a polarizer, but they are less useful with wide angle

Yes, you can use a polarizer, but they are less useful with wide angle lenses. Wide angles lenses (obviously depending on how wide) cover a broader section of the sky and since a polarizer is most effective (as stated by jim appleyard) at 90 degrees from the sun, the wide angle may see too much of the sky and you'll get an inconsistent darkening. In those cases, a color filer (Red, Orange, Yellow) may give better consistency of effect.

Shooter
    35mm
    I tried stacking a red (25A) filter with a CPL before and got amazing results with Tri-X. The sky went black with pure white clouds.

Shooter
    35mm
    Jchesky and Confusion thanks for the ideas.

I have a circular polarizer for my AF Minolta and 28mm is the widest on it's zoom. I don't have any other filters for the lens.

I have two MF Minoltas (for many years) and and a bunch of filters, red, yellow, ND for various lenses. The MF's are what I use for shooting B&W, whenever that occasion arises.

So, 90 degrees from the sun, cool. What about when the sun is directly over your shoulder?

Obviously when you're shooting B&W you're still seeing color in the viewfinder so would you spin the polarizer until you get the darkest sky in the viewfinder?

In any case, I plan on shooting B&W with the polarizer in the near future.

Thanks all!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin