Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,555   Posts: 1,545,014   Online: 710

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Rodinal in Canada - see Henrys.com

Quote Originally Posted by timbo10ca View Post
    Does anybody have a current supplier in Canada they would recommend?

Tim
    Look at Henrys.com. I believe it is currently available there, in 500ml size at $15.99. A couple weeks ago, I ordered some film from there and the shipping was free. They state that liquids can be shipped within Canada, but it doesn't sound like that will be free.

try this: http://tinyurl.com/33qjpy

I'm a great Rodinal fan. Mine is ten years old, and works great. It is so economical, it is almost a joke, with 6 ml to develop a 35 mm roll of 36 exposures. I love it for 135 Delta 100 and 120 FP4+ and Tmax 400.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Calgary

Does anybody have a current supplier in Canada they would recommend?

Tim
    Tim,

There is at least 1 store in Calgary with Rodinal in stock - not sure if it is worth the shipping cost but if you know anyone coming to Calgary for the holidays ...
    Alternatively, I could pick some up and send it Greyhound?

Martin

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Corneau View Post
    It sounds like a great place...I'll try let you both know when I can come into the city again, we can make a field trip of it!

What are Technicare's hours, BTW? A phone number would help also, especially for us out-of-towners.
    Their website is here - you'll have to click on the "Contact Us" page and select Winnipeg.

I believe when I asked last time they said they were open 8:30-5, Mon-Fri, but I could be wrong about that. In any event, they aren't open late or on the weekends at all, so as I said, inconvenient for the general public
    i can't wait to take a picture of my thumb with this beautiful camera.

- phirehouse, after buying a camera in the classifieds

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Great- thanks everybody. I'll look into Technicare also- whoever gets there first, post the findings! Colin and Mabman- It'd be cool to get together. Colin, when are you coming into town? I'm gone the 20-27th. I have monday afternoons off, so it would be the best day for me. Not this coming one, unfortunatley though. There was talk waaaaaaaaaaaaay back about doing a Winnipeg APUG get-together at PrarieView, but Craig's too busy. Haven't seen him around APUG for quite a while either.

Martin- I appreciate the offer. I actually have friends coming in Jan/Feb- ish. What's the store's name and where is it?

Larry- thanks for the Henry's tip. I love that place, but didn't think to look- I find that they have less and less film- related stuff as time goes by
    Tim
    Last edited by timbo10ca; 12-13-2007 at 03:46 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    If only we could pull out our brains and use only our eyes. P. Picasso

http://www.timbowlesphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Colin and Mabman:
    While waiting for a return call from Technicare (they have no chemicals currently in stock BTW) to see if it was possible to bring in Rodinal, I gave Henry's a call. They have an order currently with their supplier, expecting shipment in 1-2 weeks. Flat rate shipping to Winnipeg would be $22.50 to get however many bottles you want.

Out of curiosity, Henry's is selling 500ml for $16. What is the going rate around Canada? Freestyle in the States has it for $12, and our dollar is still near par.

Tim
    Last edited by timbo10ca; 12-13-2007 at 04:14 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Maybe we could do a group order if the shipping is the same for any amount? I'm up for a group outing at some point, but maybe when it's just a tad warmer
    "While you're out there smashing the state, don't forget to keep a smile on your lips and a song in your heart!"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'd be up for a Winnipeg APUG chapter getting started. I'm in on the 21st to the 26th, so maybe next time.

I've also never used Rodinal - still keeping it basic as I'm starting out; I've shot TMax100 and HP5 in 4x5, and want to explore that for a while. But, I am not averse to a little experimenting -- I could be persuaded to chip in for a bottle of Rodinal if it makes it easier to place an order.

Shooter
    Large Format
    hey Martin,

which store in Calgary has rodinal? I didnt see any at the camera store last weekend, only place i have looked lately.

cheers

Shooter
    35mm
    Colin and Mabman:

Out of curiosity, Henry's is selling 500ml for $16. What is the going rate around Canada? Freestyle in the States has it for $12, and our dollar is still near par.

Tim
    Freestyle (or any other US retailer) is a no-go for liquid chemistry of any sort - I asked about this with Freestyle and B&H, and was told the same thing - due to shipping regulations liquid chemistry is designated "hazardous materials", and they won't ship them across the border (and I believe most of the sites say they'll only ship them via ground shipping to the lower 48 states as well).

Interestingly, powdered chemistry has no such restrictions - I believe Photographer's Formulary has powdered generic versions of Rodinal (paraminephenol) if you get really desperate

To be honest to date I've only used HC-110, but I'm interested in Rodinal to see what it looks like, and I've come across some references to +4 and +5 pushing of Tri-X in it that I'd like to try at some point. I'd also be willing to buy a bottle of it, as it's supposed to last nearly forever when properly sealed.

As for a meetup, that would be fine with me, too. I do work full-time, so it would have to be evenings/weekends for the most part.
    i can't wait to take a picture of my thumb with this beautiful camera.

- phirehouse, after buying a camera in the classifieds

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Photographer's Formulary stopped selling their Rodinal because people didn't like it- the way it mixes, I think. They will send some liquids to Canada, toxic ones too- I've got Pyrocat HC on its way.

I've also been using HC-110, and am looking for an alternative so was just wanting one bottle. I find with my technique I need HC-110 at dil H to get long enough dev times! I find my negs kinda soft and low contrast (good for some stuff, not others). I used Rodinal once for HP5+ and liked the effect ok- got similar results to my FP4+ in Ilfosol S (which I canned due to shelf life). Someone mentioned trying Rodinal again.

If you and Colin want a bottle each, I can order 3 and we can split shipping. Then if we don't hook up and I have 3 bottles, I'm not out much- I'll use it anyway.

banana- you want in on this action? We've been trying to hook up for a year now, right?

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by mabman View Post
    Freestyle (or any other US retailer) is a no-go for liquid chemistry of any sort - I asked about this with Freestyle and B&H, and was told the same thing - due to shipping regulations liquid chemistry is designated "hazardous materials", and they won't ship them across the border (and I believe most of the sites say they'll only ship them via ground shipping to the lower 48 states as well).

Interestingly, powdered chemistry has no such restrictions - I believe Photographer's Formulary has powdered generic versions of Rodinal (paraminephenol) if you get really desperate

To be honest to date I've only used HC-110, but I'm interested in Rodinal to see what it looks like, and I've come across some references to +4 and +5 pushing of Tri-X in it that I'd like to try at some point. I'd also be willing to buy a bottle of it, as it's supposed to last nearly forever when properly sealed.

As for a meetup, that would be fine with me, too. I do work full-time, so it would have to be evenings/weekends for the most part.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin