Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,223   Posts: 1,532,521   Online: 1133

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    When developing with Rodinal, I pre-soak and then use that water for mixing the developer. There is then absolute temperature consistency and the results are excellent. With sheet film, I always pre-soak, especially if development times are going to be in the shorter ranges to ensure that developer is absorbed quickly and evenly. As I rule, I pre-soak everything (both 35mm and 4x5) and keep the temps consistent within +/- 1 degree or less.
    Michael McClellan
    Documentary Photographer
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    http://www.MichaelMcClellan.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I pre-soak all my films before developing. I think all the modern films gain no real chemical benefit from a pre-soak. However, there is some procedural benefit. For E-6 (I don't do any C-41) it brings my film, tank, and reels up to temperature meaning that it is easier to maintain first developer temperature. I pre-soak for B&W as a matter of habit.

Pre-soak or not, the critical issue, I think, is to do the same thing every time to gain predictable results.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I always presoak my 8x10 and 5x7 sheet film for 3 to 5 minutes. I use Deionized water at the same temperature as the developer. To maintain consistancy, I use the same procedure with 4x5, 2.25x3.25 and rollfilm. I get very uniform development with no spots or airbells.

I use DIW because I have a Millipore Filter Chain in my Lab area that supplies 20 megaohm (continuously monitored) DIW.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "That's not a large sheet of film...THIS is a large sheet of film"

- Crocodile Dundee

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Akki14 View Post
    I never bother for B&W. It doesn't need it. I follow the directions that came with my c-41 kit so it needs to be at 100F for 3 minutes then pour out (and marvel at all the freaky green-black dye that comes out... maybe this is just a kodak porta thing).
    Nope, not just from color. I get some really interesting water out of my B&W stuff. A presoak is particularly useful when tube processing, as it helps clear the back of the film. I also feel it is beneficial when working with pyro developers, and seems to promote stain uptake and also help seems to help prevent the pin holes that seem a little more prevalent with some of these developers. None of this is empirical, JMO. I have gotten into the habit of giving everything a presoak. It also brings the emulsion to temp, before any developer action commences. The consistency this promotes in development is reason enough for me.

To my knowledge, it has never caused any problems.
    Last edited by JBrunner; 12-13-2007 at 01:02 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoskinson View Post
    I use DIW because I have a Millipore Filter Chain in my Lab area that supplies 20 megaohm (continuously monitored) DIW.
    Lucky Bastard!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Keyes View Post
    Lucky Bastard!
    YUP!
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    Nope, not just from color. I get some really interesting water out of my B&W stuff. A presoak is particularly useful when tube processing, as it helps clear the back of the film. I also feel it is beneficial when working with pyro developers, and seems to promote stain uptake and also help seems to help prevent the pin holes that seem a little more prevalent with some of these developers. None of this is empirical, JMO. I have gotten into the habit of giving everything a presoak. It also brings the emulsion to temp, before any developer action commences. The consistency this promotes in development is reason enough for me.

To my knowledge, it has never caused any problems.
    I think Kodak, generally speaking from experiences, like to put those funny dyes in to freak out everyone Tri-x always comes out some sort of weird colour when dumping out the developer. Portra films do as well. But Fuji 400H c-41 doesn't dump out weird colours and I can't think of any other B&W film that does besides tri-x... though I guess fomapan might leave a tiny bit of blue in the developer. I've not used plus-x or whatever else kodak produce in B&W, though, so I can't comment there. I also don't mix my own developers beyond dissolving microphen occasionally so I didn't know it prevents pinholes.
    To be honest I feel horribly cheated in my formal photography learning between two different schools no one ever told me that developers changed the look of films I just bought any ol' stuff off the shelf and never wrote down in my notes what developer I used on what film, even if I wrote down that I push processed the film a stop or two
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Well, I've alway's presoaked. Usually just fill up the tank and spill it out. Never really noticed any difference in the amount of time I presoaked for. Actually, a lot of people I spoke to claim it isn't necessary on today's modern emulsions. Who knows.. .I'll continue to presoak only cause I'm so used to it now..

hka
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Stay on that what you are thinking is good for your films...
    harry

Release, the best you can do...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin