Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,389   Online: 654

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Printing on Rice Paper

Any thoughts or experience around printing B&W onto rice paper or some similar material colourably similar to rice paper?

Do any of the major or obscure paper manufacturers make paper like this for printing on or is it the preserve of industrial process with which I am not familiar?

thoughts welcome

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    There are no "photo" paper manufacturers that make a product like you speak of. For any paper to be coated with a photographic emulsion, and be able to be processed, it has to withstand being wet for an extended period of time. Wouldn't rice paper just dissolve if wet? In any case, you "could" coat an emulsion yourself on rice paper. Pre-made emulsions are available from Rollei, Kentmere, Rockland and others. You can put them on anything you want.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    actually, many rice papers hold up quite well. take a look at hiromipaper.com. ... it's an amazing paper store in santa monica that stocks/makes ALL sorts of rice papers. if you are serious, and are not in southern cal, it's worth ordering the sample books so you can feel the weight and texture of each.

be careful, you'll be addicted!

p.s. - just don't order their massive sheets, those are for me!
    "the age of nature is past; it has finally exhausted the patience of all sensitive minds by the loathsome monotony of its landscapes and skies." naturaimmemorial.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    an another wonderfull address:
    http://www.awagami.or.jp/en/
    I printed some platinum/palladium on their Kozoshi 91g paper, it's really nice and paper hold up very well if you take care a bit.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    many thanks for the thoughts - aberdeen scotland so a long way from southern california but i'll look them up

appreciate that rice paper probably isn't the correct material but it was the closest i could come to describing what i'd like to be able to print on

essentially i'm after some sort of semi transparent paper with the general look and feel of rice paper & i'm not sufficiently artistic to be able to come up with alternatives

i most recently saw this as a product data sheet insert when B&O launched their first mobile phone and thought to myself 'how cool would it be to be able to print on that'

i guess where it would get to is something colourably similar to some of the japanese/chinese caligraphy work on very fine rice paper - i'm an enthusiast in that art form (as a consumer only) and suspect this may be informing my aspiration on the subject
    the search continues

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Make your own emulsion and put it on the paper of your choice.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Ignore this if you already done it, but a search for "gampi" here on APUG, will get you a few threads with more specific information about some other papers that may suit you.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Medium Format
    making own emulsion sounds like a sensible solution if i had the technical wherewithal but i'm not sufficiently familiar with the process and result to know if that approach would also preserve the transparent or translucent quality of the paper.
    shall also search for "gampi" and see what that turns up.
    many thanks again

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Whilst I have not found an online source in the UK, Schleiper, based in Belgium do mail order to the UK. If you do a search on their site for Kozoshi (as used by Phillipe), they do 97 x 64 cm sheets (approx 38 x 25 inches) for just over 5 euro. Though P&P is a bit steep, at 15 euro within the European Union!
    Steve

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision" - Maxi Jazz

Website

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I got mine (Kozoshi) from them. I think it's the only way ine Europe to get that kind of paper.
    It's possible to get some samples from Awagami in Japan but after that you will have to order from Schleiper.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin