Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,760   Posts: 1,516,020   Online: 930

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

New Oriental Warmtone Fiber - Smooth Gloss

I went through about 25 sheets of this paper and according to freestyle this paper has a reformulated emulsion. Anyway, this paper has an ever so slightly creamier base than Ilford Multigrade Warmtone. Besides the paper base all other characteristics...contrast, speed, tone, response to toners...seems identical to ilfords warmtone. I mean it is uncanny how similar they are...which leads to my question.

I know that Ilford no longer private labels their products, however, they do make emultions, coat paper, etc..for other companies.

Does anybody know if the NEW oriental seagull warmtone fiber smooth gloss paper uses an ilford emulsion? I suspect that it is proabably coated by fuji? or does it use a fuji emulsion. This new paper seems to be of ultra high quality right up there with ilfords paper.

Regards,
    John

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    The Ilford WT is my main paper but I develop in a cooltone developr ans get a nice, slightly warm tone that is not brown when toned in KRST (the Ilford selenium produces chocolate colors). How does the Oriental look when toned and is is less expensive than the Ilford??..Evan Clarke

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    John, I found Oriental WT did not have as long a tonal range in the higher zones. Nothing drastic but maybe .5 to .65 zone less. Oriental has higher contrast and a rich look which works best for my negs.
    RJ

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Evan, I've used some of this paper and i love the look it has in your version of the 130. I know you will like the price also. It tones very nicely in KRST. No color shift and nice deep brown/blacks. I tone for 5-6 minutes at 1:24.

Jim

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I have printed ILF WT side by side with Oriental WT and they are the same speed, contrast and color.

Today I printed on the Oriental WT and processed it in original formula Ansco 130 and then toned it in selenium. I have not printed and processed the Ilford WT in Ansco 130 so I can't speak to that or how it tones. However I have printed ilford WT and toned it in selenium with non glycin developers and I found the Ilford to split tone and I had to tone it to completion or not at all. Today I found that the Oriental WT toned (after Ansco 130) very easily. quickly and it went gradually without so much splitting as the Ilford did for me. So I was able to tone to a lesser degree than full. However leaving it in for 5 minutes with a dilution of 1 to 7 or so it toned to a beautiful reddish brown color.

I personally really like this (new to me) combination of Oriental WT and Ansco 130. It is a beautiful color and very nice tonality (subjective I know).

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I would be tempted to believe that Oriental actually coats their own paper with their own emulsions, because the box/sleeve lists it as being manufactured by "tokyo-photo ltd." or some such.

I love the original VC and am very anxious to try Seagull graded, if only I could find G4 in anything less than 100-sheet boxes!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin