Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,591   Online: 918

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

recycling film spools?

I have been seperating paper backing from 120 film spools so I can recycle the paper but I have no idea what to do with this huge collection of perfectly good 120/220 film spools. Anyone find anything to do with them other than throw them in the garbage?
    Thanks
    Dennis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Dennis, near me is a mini-lab that sends them out to be recycled. Have you checked with any labs? Some do simply toss them tho'.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I keep mine

I have hoarded the spools and backing paper for a few years now. I have a stash of about 70 spools.

I recently bought 100' of 160NC Portra short dated 70mm film. Ihave progressively been cutting it down for about 38 rools woirth of 120 format film. It takes some work, but is a good activity on a dead tv night when I am too zonked to feel inspired to print.

It is a good for the soul time to stil in the dark doing something meaningful for an hour or so.

The cost of one at a time rolls of 120 Portra 160NC locally is approaching $7, and I figure I can get 38 rools for the $70 the bulk reel cost me, so a bit of slicing and re-spooling is worth it.

A side benefit of thie relading is I clean the darkroom so well before doing this that for weeks after the amount of spotting that I have to do on finished prints is a lot lower than usually found.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin