Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,315   Posts: 1,536,696   Online: 940

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't know about Jack Black but Pete Townsend used to do it to his Strat.
    Mmm maybe it was a Gibson after all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Heifetz, on being told by an admiring concert goer after a performance that his violin sounded wonderful, held it up to his ear and said: "How odd, madam, I don't hear a thing."
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I heard back from Michael Kenna and as predicted his response was quite short and sweet. He says he does a light selenium toning.

There was a reason Les Paul developed his guitar sound and a reason people used it. Carlos Santana could have worked with the sound of the Strat but he preferred the audio language of the Les Paul. People who contend that the technical doesn't matter are perhaps image catchers more than print makers.
    Dennis

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dpurdy View Post
    I heard back from Michael Kenna and as predicted his response was quite short and sweet. He says he does a light selenium toning.

There was a reason Les Paul developed his guitar sound and a reason people used it. Carlos Santana could have worked with the sound of the Strat but he preferred the audio language of the Les Paul. People who contend that the technical doesn't matter are perhaps image catchers more than print makers.
    Dennis
    Technical and technique are two different beasts. The first does not make the second, but makes the second possible. I'd wager that we all know and use from time to time the technical aspects of Kenna's printing. Given the same negative, in Kenna's darkroom with all his technical accoutrements at hand, would we all make the same print?
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gainer View Post
    would we all make the same print?
    Absolutely not. One of the things John Sexton does in his Fine Tuning workshop is send every participant an identical negative and has them print their version of it before the workshop and bring it with them. At the workshop he has everyone put there interpretations of the print up at the same time. Not one will look like another one.

Jerry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Basierbe View Post
    Absolutely not. One of the things John Sexton does in his Fine Tuning workshop is send every participant an identical negative and has them print their version of it before the workshop and bring it with them. At the workshop he has everyone put there interpretations of the print up at the same time. Not one will look like another one.

Jerry
    What were your experiences on that workshop? Did you learn a lot, improve noticeably etc. I have been thinking about a workshop to improve my printing.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Just for future reference.. I found much technical information on his interviews page on his website. Here is the link. Some info may be dated, but it looks like Tri-x in D-76 and Ilford MGIV FB in Ilford Universal developer. Then lightly sepia tone. Print size is 7 1/2 x 7 1/2".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i bet he has an ND filter.
    "Where is beauty? Where I must will with my whole Will; where I will love and perish, that an image may not remain merely an image."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    does anybody knows which fb paper michael uses... is it a glossy or a matt?

best mhoth

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    He uses a semi gloss slightly warmtone paper that is long discontinued from the nineties...he bought a huge stock of it and thats what he prints on

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2
    website down for maintenance!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin