Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,898   Posts: 1,521,037   Online: 760

Shooter
    Medium Format

Whoops! Shot HP5+ at 64!

I accidently shot some HP5 at ISO 64, thinking it was another film. Anyone have any tips on pulling this 2.5 stops? There's nothing on the massive dev chart, atleast not with the chemicals I have on hand (Rodinal, Ilfosol, and the last of my D76). I understand pulling it is going to give me really low contrast negs. Should I just live with it, or might it be an idea to develop in a diluted solution to get out some shadow detail, then switch to a higher concentration mid way?
    Derrick

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have exposed HP5+ at EI 100 (twice in the same month!). I found the time for it at EI 160 on the massive development chart to be 20 minutes so I reduced this to about 16 minutes and it seems o.k. I would expect somewhere between 12 and 14 minutes to be about right for EI 64.

Massive Development Chart: http://www.digitaltruth.com/devchart.html

One of mine with HP5+ at EI 100: http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...8&ppuser=12229

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    l have no experience of using HP5 as yet but with my setup I have little difficulty in pulling tri-x 1 1/2 to 2 stops and compensate in printing. My specific times and materials would be of little use to you.
    You could also consider overdevelopment rather than under by about 30%. This will give a dense neg but more even contrast although printing times may be longer.

Regards,
    John.

Shooter
    35mm
    It is said that B&W is tolerant of 2 to 3 stops of overexposure anyway. Combine that with a speed reducing dev such as Perceptol which brings HP5+ down to EI 200 and in theory you're in with a fighting chance of producing reasonable negs which will be printable.

Best of luck. If you have ever considered posting to the technical gallery, it would be nice to see how the negs print.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    For HP5+@320... My Personal Normal(N) Dev time for ID11/D76 Dilution 1:1@20C is 9min. My 2 stop contraction Dev time(N-2) is 5.5min. You'll probably be somewhere around here but what you do is really at best a guess. The Subject Brightness Range(SBR) of the original scene will play the determining part ie if it was a scene that had bright highlights they will most likely be blown out, but the contraction of development will help a bit. If it was a Flat low contrast scene you will most likely end up a flat negative. Higher grade printing might help here.

Good luck
    kev

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Sounds like this is your first time overexposing by two stops or more. If it's not a paying job, why not just developed normally? If you are lucky, you had some high contrast scenes and some low contrast scenes. Might learn something to keep up your sleeve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What about using Diafine?

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    PMK drop two stops in time and you should be a ok.

Lots of clients rate HP5 at 100 and drop process with me, you may really really like this film combo.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Moxom View Post
    What about using Diafine?
    Diafine works well as a compensating developer. It will also deliver a speed boost of about 1 stop with HP5+, which is exactly what the OP doesn't need. I thinks something like full strength Perceptol or Microdol-X, along with a reduction in development time, is your best bet.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! I ended up developing the film at 200 and following the massive dev chart's numbers on rodinal (1:25 @ 4m45s). The fact that the scene was very contrasty helped too, I think.

Derrick

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin