Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,977   Posts: 1,523,681   Online: 1153

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

pyro hd, streaks, problems, and questions. help!

hi all,
    i am trying to use pyro HD. today i got all kinds of streaks and strange development issues in trays. what did i do wrong? i have used hc110 in trays and have had no issues.
    1st i ran some 5x7 foma 100. got bad results due to uneven development and streaks. i used 1:1:100 at 80F for 8 min (please comment on if my times were even close). i used 1000ml in 8x10 trays. 4 sheets at one time. shuffled and rocking the trays.
    so i figured i would try some 8x10 and be more careful about my agitation and shuffling. i used the same set up but this time only 2 sheets of 8x10.
    same problems! ARGH! what happened? time too short? temp to high? crappy technique! please help!

also please comment on my times, temps, and dilutions. i will be useing foma 100 and J&C 100 for the nest few runs. please advise on times, temps, dilutions, and such. i would love to use pyro but i can not figure what i did wrong. everybody else gets good results........

thanks

eddie

ps. i will post pics in my gallery when they are dry enough to scan.
    photoshop is somewhere you go to buy photo equipment.

lens photos here

Quote Originally Posted by eddie gunks View Post
    hi all,
    i am trying to use pyro HD. today i got all kinds of streaks and strange development issues in trays. what did i do wrong? i have used hc110 in trays and have had no issues.
    1st i ran some 5x7 foma 100. got bad results due to uneven development and streaks. i used 1:1:100 at 80F for 8 min (please comment on if my times were even close). i used 1000ml in 8x10 trays. 4 sheets at one time. shuffled and rocking the trays.
    so i figured i would try some 8x10 and be more careful about my agitation and shuffling. i used the same set up but this time only 2 sheets of 8x10.
    same problems! ARGH! what happened? time too short? temp to high? crappy technique! please help!

also please comment on my times, temps, and dilutions. i will be useing foma 100 and J&C 100 for the nest few runs. please advise on times, temps, dilutions, and such. i would love to use pyro but i can not figure what i did wrong. everybody else gets good results........

thanks

eddie

ps. i will post pics in my gallery when they are dry enough to scan.
    A couple of suggestions.

Pre soak your negatives at least 2 minutes in water before you develop. Secondly, I do not understand why you need to rock your trays when you are tray developing your sheet film. My trays remain static throughout the tray development of my sheet film. Put one sheet out of the pre-wash and gently put it into the developer and push it below the surface (emulsion side up) and when all of your sheets are in the developer start pulling a sheet off of the bottom and place it on top throughout the development time. I would also drop your processing temp to about 70 degrees to give you some operating flexibility.

Focus on slowly cycling your sheets in the trays and leave that tray rocking for your print making. It is not necessary.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I pre-soak the negatives for five minutes. That was Sandy King's original recommendation, although I think he recently revised that to a minimum of two minutes like Michael says.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Eddie.,
    Did you use a water pre-soak bath before the developer? 80F seems a bit high for a developer temp. I would suggest keeping the temp. at 75f or lower. I can't comment on your time and dilution because I have no experience with Foma film. Development time will of course depend on the density range you need to print on your chosen paper (gelatin silver, platinum, etc.).
    Good luck,
    Gary

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Yes, try presoak for five minutes. shuffle, try not to rock. Also, rotate the negative 180 degrees every so often during shuffling, i find this can help with skies...perhaps try 75 or 78 degrees too.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    80f sounds way too hot. The rate of time increase/decrease is exponential with temperature change. Within a fairly narrow temperature range (68-75 or so) the increase/decrease in time is relatively linear as you decrease/increase the temperature. Outside that range, the decrease in time gets much bigger the hotter your developer, and vice versa. If you overheat your developer, the development time will be so short as to be unmanageable, and you may not get full and proper development of your highlights. If the development temperature drops too low, you push toward infinite development time because the developer ceases to be active.

I'll second the pre-wet, shuffle only recommendations.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Every time I have had streaking problems with Pyrocat it has been because my initial agitation was not started soon enough, as in instantly, or vigorous enough. Other than that the suggestions others have made pretty much cover what else I would have said. I hope you get it to work for you as Pyrocat is a wonderful developer.

Richard Wasserman

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin