Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,936   Posts: 1,585,632   Online: 718

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    The suggestions of other developers are good, but none will "substitute" for 130. It's about the glycin. The suggestions for ordering glycin in a large amount and mixing and keeping it in solution to preserve it are the best ones, if you are truly looking for 130 like properties.
    Last edited by JBrunner; 12-18-2007 at 08:01 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: needed a 'postrophy

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Just to chime in on Glycin, I just ordered via telephone from Photographer's Formulary today a Pound of Glycin which cost 80 USD. Compared to Hydroquinone that is a lot of money. But if you figure you use a liter of working solution and you only use 5 grams of Glycin that means it costs something around a dollar a batch for the Glycin which isn't enough to worry about too much but then the issue is definitely storage if you want to keep it bright and fresh. However I just tried it out last week with Glycin that was stored room temp in a drawer for something like 2.5 years and it was a light brown color but worked fine.

PS Also right now at Photographers Formulary they have free shipping for a pound of Glycin.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oh dear, Christmas in bathing suits? What is the world coming to?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Ansco 130

I don't know if "brown "glycin means itsd bad but photographers formulary in Montana(usa) has their own 130 developer pre-packaged in a box at a very fair price. I don't know if its any easier to get into Australia though.
    No escaping it!
    I must step on fallen leaves
    to take this path

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Looks as though I will have to 'bite the bullet' and order more Glycin. Last time the shipping charge was more than one third of the total cost for just 100 grams. I'll order a larger amount this time.

Thanks all

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    The powder does in fact freeze well.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Free shipping from Photographers Formulary right now if you order a pound... or anything over 75 dollars. Christmas special.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have frozen glycin for almost three years. I then used it not only in Ansco 130, but also in a film developer with only the glycin as the developing agent. YMMV.
    juan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree with the Ilford Warmtone suggestion. It's not quite the same, but pretty close. Well diluted ID-78 is probably a close match to the Ilford Warmtone.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nworth View Post
    I agree with the Ilford Warmtone suggestion. It's not quite the same, but pretty close. Well diluted ID-78 is probably a close match to the Ilford Warmtone.
    Yes, dilute it, and you can also add some more Potassium Bromide (up to 3 or 4 times the 4.5 grams that the recipe calls for). This will further warm the tone.
    Last edited by Tom Hoskinson; 12-20-2007 at 01:38 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Typos
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin