Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,727   Posts: 1,515,205   Online: 990

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Substitute for Ansco 130

I've been mixing and using Ansco 130 for a few years and love it for its "look" and keeping qualities as a paper developer. But the combined cost of Glycin and shipping to Australia is getting prohibitive. Can anyone suggest an alternative?

I prefer to mix my own developers rather than buying proprietary products.

Thanks in advance

Lyn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ethol's LPD is a fairly long-lasting dev, but I don't know if you can find it there. However, you should be able to find Dektol; lasts fairly well and should be much cheaper than glycin.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Dektol won't give you the Ansco 130 look. It also doesn't last nearly as long as 130. Look around and see if you can find the Ilford Warmtone pre-mixed liquid. I know it's a proprietary developer, but it is relatively economical, and if the Ilford importer in Australia brings it in, it should be readily available.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nothing is really like Ansco 130, unfortunately.

Perhaps ordering larger quantities of glycin and mixing up larger quantities of stock solution (which keep for a very long time) will be your answer. I've also read that many people have had good luck freezing glycin, although I personally have not tried this. Supposedly the powder will keep years when frozen.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    Look around and see if you can find the Ilford Warmtone pre-mixed liquid. I know it's a proprietary developer, but it is relatively economical, and if the Ilford importer in Australia brings it in, it should be readily available.
    I think Ilford has actually discontinued their Warmtone developer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, given the keeping properties of Ansco 130, you could make a bigger order to amortize costs?

Otherwise, I found that PolymaxT is a pretty decent substitute, and has a slight edge over Dektol in terms of look. It's a commercial product, but it might be easier to find.

You might want to have a look at the recipes in here:
    http://www.jackspcs.com/pdev.htm

Or invest in The Darkroom Cookbook, which has quite a few formulae as well. The authors' explanations should help to guide you.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    According to my first tests with Ansco 130 (which I liked quite a lot) the biggest difference is in print color. It gave me very warm prints with good contrast. It was warmer than anything I have been able to mix up but you might try mixing a developer with a lot of potas Bromide and not much sodium Carbonate.

If you are mixing from scratch as opposed to a box mix the Ansco 130 isn't all that expensive in the greater scheme of things.
    Dennis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Far as I know, the only one they discontinued was the cooltone developer.

Quote Originally Posted by PHOTOTONE View Post
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A developer I always liked, but that almost requires a selenium toning session afterwards (unless you like a green cast) is Ilford Bromophen.
    I have used it diluted to 1+3 and have had good results from it. It's sold in powder form so shipping should be reasonable. It works really well with Kentmere Kentona paper and Ilford Warmtone.
    I can't say that it's precisely like A-130, but it does display a really nice tonal scale, and its keeping properties was good in my darkroom. I used the same concentrate, stored in a glass bottle, for almost a year without any noticeable change.

- Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Lyn Arnold View Post
    I've been mixing and using Ansco 130 for a few years and love it for its "look" and keeping qualities as a paper developer. But the combined cost of Glycin and shipping to Australia is getting prohibitive. Can anyone suggest an alternative?

I prefer to mix my own developers rather than buying proprietary products.

Thanks in advance

Lyn
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PHOTOTONE View Post
    Cooltone was the discontinued product, not Warmtone.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin