Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,770   Posts: 1,484,254   Online: 1139

Thread: Ansco 47

Shooter
    Multi Format

Ansco 47

I have several cans of Ansco 47 replensiher, I opened a can, it has smaller tube of what looks to be P-phenylendiame, but I can be sure. The label says to add to developer to bring volume up to 1 gallon, the size of the kit. It seems to be a version of 777 or Edwal 12. Any hints?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Hi Paul. I have used Ansco 47 quite a lot and have considered it one of my main developers when processing sheet film intended for platinum printing. It is a very basic Metol Hydroquinone developer and is designed to be long lasting and clean. It tends to build a lot of density so you have to be careful not to over process. It makes negs with sparkling whites that hold up to platinum printing. Unless you are into push processing or want dense negs, I wouldn't use it for regular roll film.
    Dennis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dpurdy View Post
    Hi Paul. I have used Ansco 47 quite a lot and have considered it one of my main developers when processing sheet film intended for platinum printing. It is a very basic Metol Hydroquinone developer and is designed to be long lasting and clean. It tends to build a lot of density so you have to be careful not to over process. It makes negs with sparkling whites that hold up to platinum printing. Unless you are into push processing or want dense negs, I wouldn't use it for regular roll film.
    Dennis
    thanks for the info, my cans are not likely to be good, the powder in the inner tub is black, not a good sign.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dpurdy View Post
    Dennis
    GAF 47A (REPLENISHER for GAF 47)

Water .......................................750ml
    Metol .........................................3.0 grams
    Sodium Sulfite, dessicated ..............45.0 grams
    Sodium Bisulfite..............................2.0 grams
    Hydroquinone.................................6.0 grams
    Sodium Carbonate, monohydrated......12.0 grams
    Water to make...............................1 liter

Add 1/2 to 3/4 ounce of replenisher to GAF 47 for each roll 0f 120 film (or equivalent) developed. Maintain original volume of developer, discarding some
    used developer, if needed.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoskinson View Post
    GAF 47A (REPLENISHER for GAF 47)

Water .......................................750ml
    Metol .........................................3.0 grams
    Sodium Sulfite, dessicated ..............45.0 grams
    Sodium Bisulfite..............................2.0 grams
    Hydroquinone.................................6.0 grams
    Sodium Carbonate, monohydrated......12.0 grams
    Water to make...............................1 liter

Add 1/2 to 3/4 ounce of replenisher to GAF 47 for each roll 0f 120 film (or equivalent) developed. Maintain original volume of developer, discarding some
    used developer, if needed.
    I guess that the hydroquinone is in the smaller tube on the inside and is now black. Seems to closest to DK 60 or 50. I have 1 remaining can, I ll open it to see if the hydroquinone is white or black. If it is any good do you think it will work with DK 50?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Howell View Post
    I guess that the hydroquinone is in the smaller tube on the inside and is now black. Seems to closest to DK 60 or 50. I have 1 remaining can, I ll open it to see if the hydroquinone is white or black. If it is any good do you think it will work with DK 50?
    Looking at the DK 50 recipe - - it probably would work if both the Metol and Hydroquinone are still ok.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The tube probably contains the metol. Many, many years ago, developers were packaged like this. Some will remember the two separate foil envelopes (or it you are really old, glass tubes) that made up Kodak M-Q developer packages. Unmodified metol reacts with sulfite to form an insoluble compound. Modern formulations use a phthalate coating that gets around the problem, but that came after your developer was made. You dissolve the metol first, then add the other stuff.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by nworth View Post
    The tube probably contains the metol. Many, many years ago, developers were packaged like this. Some will remember the two separate foil envelopes (or it you are really old, glass tubes) that made up Kodak M-Q developer packages. Unmodified metol reacts with sulfite to form an insoluble compound. Modern formulations use a phthalate coating that gets around the problem, but that came after your developer was made. You dissolve the metol first, then add the other stuff.
    I have a number of ANSCO cans, D 17, the D47A, Permadol, ANSCO libs are pried off like paint cans libs. The D 17 has an inner container that is better sealed than the tube in the D47. Old Kodak cans like DK 50 are opened with a can opener, the DK 50 can has two compartments, one on each end.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin