Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,693   Posts: 1,482,448   Online: 902

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Alternative to Forte Polywarmtone?

My paper of choice for quite a while now was Forte Polywarmtone--which, of course, is no longer produced. I stocked up on what I could, but I need to find a replacement.

As I don't have much by way of funds to tinker and experiment with alternative papers, I'm looking for feedback/suggestions for comparable warmtone papers.

Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    1) Adox Polygrade (polywarmtone), very warm emulsion on white paper stock, sensitive to developers with regard to print colour.
    2) Fomatone MG Classic, very warm emulsion which again responds well to developer type. The paper stock is on the 'cream' side.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Crone View Post
    1) Adox Polygrade (polywarmtone), very warm emulsion on white paper stock, sensitive to developers with regard to print colour.
    2) Fomatone MG Classic, very warm emulsion which again responds well to developer type. The paper stock is on the 'cream' side.
    I'd heard that ADOX was repackaged Forte. Do you happen to know if that is actually the case?

Thanks for your help.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Whatadame View Post
    I'd heard that ADOX was repackaged Forte. Do you happen to know if that is actually the case?

Thanks for your help.
    Sorry can't confirm that but you could ask Nigal at Retrophotographic.
    http://www.retrophotographic.com/about.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    From the ADOX page on the subject...
    Quote Originally Posted by ADOX
    Note: 1.1.2007: This paper is currently available only as supplies last due to legal problems in the original plant where it was coated.
    We are planing to recreate a paper with similar characteristics in short time but cannot give any detailed timeline at the moment.
    Sounds like it was Forte Polywarmtone, however, it also sounds like they're trying to make it go the way of Agfa MCC/MCP.
    I think I love ADOX more and more every day. I thought it was lost completely until this thread made me see that page.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBBo View Post
    From the ADOX page on the subject...

Sounds like it was Forte Polywarmtone, however, it also sounds like they're trying to make it go the way of Agfa MCC/MCP.
    Please please please. I only got a box left.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    Please please please. I only got a box left.
    Same here.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeah, that's where I'm at as well.
    About half actually, and half a box of Neutral.
    Does anyone know if the ADOX that made/distributed that paper is the same as the one re-producing the Agfa MCC/MCP? I know there's a bit of a confusion sometimes with the names between Efke/Adox/Fotokemika and who is who or whatever.
    It'd be great to hear something on this subject from Mirko.
    Seems like we're down to Foma, Ilford and Adox for paper producers now, for most basic purposes.
    The more things like this Adox can pull off, I'd say the better off everyone is, I know a lot of people who love those Agfa papers and also that Forte one and them being able to get them still would definitely get Adox some new customers.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Mirko has posted loads of information on this subject already in multiple threads. To sum up the new Adox MCC 111: it is basically the same emulsion from the late Agfa Classic, but with a whiter paper base. There have already been a couple of rounds of testing of this paper and the acclaim from APUG users has been almost universally positive. Mirko has said that Freestyle will be handling distribution of this paper in the States.

As far as warmtone papers go, there's Kentmere's Fineprint WT (semi-matte only...no glossy), Kentona, Fomatone FB WT, Fomatone WT Chamois, Oriental VC WT, Ilford FB WT and Fotospeed Lith. I personally love Kentona, but it's a graded paper (about US #2.5) and thus not an all-purpose item. Fotospeed Lith I believe has the same paper base as Kentona, but a different emulsion. Foma's warm tones have always been a bit much for me--the chamois paper especially (pricey, too!). Kentmere's also a bit warmer than Forte was...I suppose the closest candidates would probably be Ilford and Oriental. Mind you, that's not saying that either displays properties that are really close to Forte's...there are definite differences. Perhaps an alternative might be to take a good neutral paper and use warmtone developer. Or you could of course just tone the print to make it as warm as you want.

Or, you could just go here:
    http://www.apug.org/classifieds/show...p?product=5505
    Last edited by Silverhead; 12-19-2007 at 12:00 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Found new information relevant to the subject.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    http://www.fotohuisrovo.nl/documenta...A_FORTE_en.pdf

Further Foma is working on a 1:1 replacement for the Forte PW14 .

Best regards,

Robert

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin