Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,495   Posts: 1,543,020   Online: 765

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

ACROS EI 25 test

http://dennispurdy.com/ACROS%2025%20test.html

I don't expect to rock anyones world with this but just in case someone might be curious I posted this result of an ACROS shot at 25 test.

My black cat (named DMax) lying in blazing July sun on a white window sill.

And the piano which is in a very dark room and is lit by the quartz halogen light that I turned up a bit to hit the white edges of the music books. Same roll of film as the kitty.

Processed to proper density in Beutlers and printed on foma WT.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You got me intrigued: what film format did you use? I suppose that by shooting at EI 25 and your dev time you are achieving a strong N-2 or -3 for reducing contrast?

The range of contrast you are fitting on the film is impressive. It's beautiful in the first picture. I can just smell the summer air and hear the birds your cat is fixing.
    Last edited by Michel Hardy-Vallée; 12-19-2007 at 12:07 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Wow, awesome tones! DMax, that's a good name
    Looks like you found your magic bullet!

Alex W.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    I have zone tested this film a lot and it ends up normally begin rated at around 32 for N in Rodinal. Depending on the developer your index sounds about right.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    mhv, the film is 120 shot with a Rollei. kj, I actually get 50 out of it with my tests but I wanted to see just how flat it would look if I pulled it a stop. The Beutler's developer is good for that. I don't know how it looks on your monitors but the prints don't feel flat or unusual at all. If I was going to shoot a bunch of bright sunlit landscapes I might shoot it this way as standard.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Interesting. Sharp lines but soft tones. That's the traditional Beutler look, although these shots are a quite a bit softer than I remember from KB-14 in the old days. The silky fine, even tones of this film are certainly interesting. Although I can't tell from the posted picture, my guess is that it has invisible grain, too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dpurdy View Post
    http://dennispurdy.com/ACROS%2025%20test.html

I don't expect to rock anyones world with this but just in case someone might be curious I posted this result of an ACROS shot at 25 test.

My black cat (named DMax) lying in blazing July sun on a white window sill.

And the piano which is in a very dark room and is lit by the quartz halogen light that I turned up a bit to hit the white edges of the music books. Same roll of film as the kitty.

Processed to proper density in Beutlers and printed on foma WT.
    Very Nice, Dennis!

Which Beutler Recipe did you use?
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Hi Tom, I use the one with 10 grams Metol and 50 grams sodium sulfite in A and 50 grams sodium carbonate in B. Then I add the potassium Iodide independently when mixing the working solution which I dilute 8 to 1. I have a different formula somewhere in a book but I think it is very close to the same.
    Dennis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dpurdy View Post
    Hi Tom, I use the one with 10 grams Metol and 50 grams sodium sulfite in A and 50 grams sodium carbonate in B. Then I add the potassium Iodide independently when mixing the working solution which I dilute 8 to 1. I have a different formula somewhere in a book but I think it is very close to the same.
    Dennis
    Dennis, Your recipe is pretty close to Crawley's FX-1 formulation
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Yes it is pretty much the same, as well as Neofin-blue. I am getting ready to do some side by side testing of beutlers and Rodinal 50 to 1. I am thinking that maybe the sharpness and compensating affect is nearly as good with the Rodinal but with the added benifit beautifully glowing whites. I sometimes think the whites with the beutlers are a bit muggy (for lack of a better word) especially if you keep the densities down.
    Dennis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin