Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,661   Posts: 1,481,594   Online: 919

Images
    I am going to be doing some major testing of a new idea I have. In order to speed up the process of drying / drydown testing I am thinking about using a microwave. What do you think? Will I experience anything strange while doing this?
    hi!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It works quite well. Only problem is that I find it affects the finish of the paper in a way that makes judging tones tricky. Ilford's Warmtone comes out much shinier from the microwave than when air dried, for example -- but then, I really zap the thing. Cooking it slower may solve the problem.

Images
    So are we talking 2 minutes on high?
    hi!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That should do it. I expect you'll need to calibrate to your individual oven, timing to cook until the print attains the dimensions of an already dried one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The faster a glossy fibre print is dried the higher the gloss. Agfa's Record Rapid responded beautifully to different drying speeds if dried quickly on a print dryer thegloss was quite high but when dried overnight at room temperature the finish was near semi matt which suited certain images. I found that drying prints quickly in the microwave also increases the warmth especially if it is a warm paper such as Ilford Warmtone. 1 to 2 minutes dependant on the power of the microwave should be OK. Anyone come across a 20 x 16 microwave yet?
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ansel Adam's video - I borrowed a copy from my local Library - has him drying portions of prints (couldn't get the entire print in) with the microwave, as a matter of routine, prior to making the final print.

Interesting video - I learned that he broke his nose in the Great San Fransico earthquake (1906?).
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I brought this up once about using the microwave in the kitchen and the bruises about my head and shoulders are JUST starting to heal. The wife was not amused.

lee\c

Images
    Luckily I do the bulk of my work after "she who rules the house" is asleep. LOL! It took about 45 seconds in our small microwave to completely dry an 8x10 after I had sponged the bulk of the water off of it.
    hi!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin