Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,699   Posts: 1,549,146   Online: 1140

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    A lot depends on where you traveling to.

If I am not certain I can obtain the film I want at my destination, I carry it on and ask for hand inspection. Have never been denied.

If I cannot get it processed during my trip - I similarly carry it on when returning with the hand inspection request. But I'd never risk check-in baggage - the x-rays are much more powerful. I'd sooner mail it with a "Do Not X-ray" message.

Now, it's probably easier for me because I only shoot 35mm and 120/220.

You might want to check with Canada Post as to what their policy is regarding express mail and x-rays. Down here USPS express mail is actually contracted out to FedEx and I don't think it gets x-rayed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PHOTOTONE View Post
    I have said this before, I will say it again. The film has to get to the stores someway. That way is shipping. If you order an overnight delivery of film for a job from a vendor, then it goes by air.
    While I don't disagree with your answer, I don't think the question is a dumb one.

I don't know how film manufacturers ship their product to distributors and retailers. I don't know if they ship by ground, sea or air. Obviously ground and sea shipping always avoid x-rays - perhaps this is the preferred method most of the time. I don't know.

I don't know if film is routinely refrigerated when it is shipped. I don't know the temperatures to which the film I buy was exposed. I don't know if film manufacturers prefer to ship film in refrigerated containers during the summer or not.

These are things I'd like to know, actually.

I agree that shipping film by air is not the end of the world, but I don't know for certain that it isn't x-rayed. I have to say that the question crossed my mind when I recently mail-ordered a batch of film that included some Ilford Delta 3200. Black and white film is more sensitive to x-rays than colour film is, and fast film is more sensitive than slow film is, so this is a double whammy.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    35mm
    Well, the times I've bought (usually cold-stored expired) film from people in the US and had them write "film - do not x-ray" on the package, the customs documentation attached it has said "Package not opened". Not sure if that also means "Package not x-rayed", but I haven't had a problem with any of it so far.

Some people on other boards and/or other threads, however, swear that the checked luggage x-rays have fogged their film in odd ways where rolls from the same batch not x-rayed were fine - so I think YMMV on this. Also, I heard speculation that high-speed and/or infrared film may be more susceptible to x-rays - not sure if that's true or not, though.
    i can't wait to take a picture of my thumb with this beautiful camera.

- phirehouse, after buying a camera in the classifieds

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    While I don't disagree with your answer, I don't think the question is a dumb one.

I don't know how film manufacturers ship their product to distributors and retailers. I don't know if they ship by ground, sea or air. Obviously ground and sea shipping always avoid x-rays - perhaps this is the preferred method most of the time. I don't know.

I don't know if film is routinely refrigerated when it is shipped. I don't know the temperatures to which the film I buy was exposed. I don't know if film manufacturers prefer to ship film in refrigerated containers during the summer or not.

These are things I'd like to know, actually.

I agree that shipping film by air is not the end of the world, but I don't know for certain that it isn't x-rayed. I have to say that the question crossed my mind when I recently mail-ordered a batch of film that included some Ilford Delta 3200. Black and white film is more sensitive to x-rays than colour film is, and fast film is more sensitive than slow film is, so this is a double whammy.
    Film is shipped to retailers by all methods, and at room temperature, regrdless of whether it is professional or amateur film. Short term (a few days) exposure to the more extreme temperatures suitable for human existance are not detrimental to film. The same frieght services that deliver to your door, also make larger deliveries to the film retailers, and that includes overnight and 2nd Day Air types of services.

No film (b/w or color) or photo paper (b/w or color) is ever shipped in refrigerated containers, ever.

Freight is not normally X-rayed.

But even considering this, modern fresh film can take some X-ray exposure and still perform as manufactured.

The ONLY X-ray exposure you should worry about is the type of X-ray used for "checked" luggage on airline flights. NOTE: Freight on the same flights does not get X-rayed.

Now, let me pose a question: If you can't tell (by comparison) that a film has been X-rayed, does it really matter?
    Last edited by PHOTOTONE; 12-21-2007 at 05:43 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PHOTOTONE View Post
    Now, let me pose a question: If you can't tell (by comparison) that a film has been X-rayed, does it really matter?
    I don't care if it gets X-rayed as long as it's in a dose that won't affect things. Having said that I'll just assume it's fine and chalk it up as a learning experience if it isn't.
    The universe is a haunted house. -Coil

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I think we're crossing some bananas with strawberries here.

The OP was sending his film domestically in Canada via Canada Post's express service.

So the real question is:

Does CPost x-ray it's Express packages for those going from domestic originations to domestic destinations?

That is why I think he should just ASK them!

As to all the other possibilities mentioned here:

1) In the US - domestic commercial supplier to buyer of film is likely to go via UPS (i.e. NOT USPS) or FedEx and unlikely to be x-rayed.

1a) If it goes USPS via Express or Priority - it is likely going via FedEx - so see #1

2) If US film suppliers are shipping to Canada - it's likely going UPS or FedEx (and goodness help you on those bogus "custom brokerage charges") but also unlikely to be x-rayed.

3) No matter where you are going - the absolutely worst place to put your film is in checked baggage! :o

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    So the real question is:

Does CPost x-ray it's Express packages for those going from domestic originations to domestic destinations?

That is why I think he should just ASK them!
    I've also had film sent to me from places in Canada via Parcel Post (not as fast as Express, sometimes sent via air as well, and sometimes sent ground, or combinations thereof, depending on available routes) without issue. But, don't know if it was or wasn't x-rayed, so, yes, asking is a good policy if you want to know for sure.
    i can't wait to take a picture of my thumb with this beautiful camera.

- phirehouse, after buying a camera in the classifieds

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have had no problems with the US post express mail service. Different country and therefore may not help you. Don't know about Canada Post.

Sincerely,

Hany.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I post several large orders of film a year to dr5 in the US for processing from the UK. I've sent all sorts of films and speeds, 25iso to 1000iso, Rollei IR to Ilford SFX via Maco and Kodak - never had a problem with anything. I always write ' undeveloped film - do not x-ray' on box, but I don't know if that makes any real difference...!

Cheers,
    Gavin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Here is the X ray warning from Kodak:

http://www.kodak.com/go/xray

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin