Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,915   Posts: 1,556,380   Online: 1086

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by JLP View Post
    Thomas, you have obviously not been following the thread about a lot of happy new Chamonix camera owners on the LF forum. There's a lot of fine gear coming out of China, some far superior to what is made in the US.

That put aside, i use the Chinese Amidol and yes, it needs a little extra time in preparation but is working just as it is supposed to do. Lot's of contrast control with a water bath.

Merry Christmas everyone.

jan

Chamonix camera's are good. "Far superior" to a US, or quality camera from some other country? Nah, perhaps "as good as a _____" or "really good for the money" but "far superior" would be a stretch. Thats about as accurate as saying all Chinese products are substandard. My Fotoman is a really good product for the money, but it is definitely not a Horseman or a Linhof.
    Last edited by JBrunner; 12-21-2007 at 04:48 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Iron in a developer, particularly for a chloride emulsion can cause black spots that sometimes are large and sometimes can only be seen with a loupe.

Tin in a developer will cause fog. It is used as the E6 fogging agent in the reversal bath.

I hope no one has problems with this material.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    I don't think anybody is surprised anymore when poor quality product comes out of China. I dodge it unless it's a Holga camera. It's supposed to suck.

Like John says, it is a pity if it's not usable. I saw a posting of Jim Galli in the galleries that was printed with that Amidol, and it appeared as if he had to jump through both one and two hoops to get to what he needed, but it was usable to him.

- Thomas
    The Chinese Amidol works fine for me - the price was certainly right! I don't mind filtering the working developer solution.

And BTW, I love my 4X5 Shen Hao.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Nobody mentioned the 'good old stuff' from Artcraft Chemicals that comes from the UK per owner Mike Jacobson. I have been using Artcrafts' Amidol for about a year with no mixing issues and superior prints. You are right about cost but the old adage 'you get what you pay for' comes to mind. Just a thought and another option to the available Chinese variety.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All right, all right. Some products coming out of China are good, same as everywhere else. I was more referring to the troubles I have seen personally and what's been reported in the press.

It's all the 'cutting corners' that keeps surprising and baffling me. Forgive me for being biased. I've just had a lot of bad experience with Chinese products.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thomas, if there is a lot of bad press, problems with lead in toys, problems with the date rape drug on children's beads (what the hell's up with that one?) and many environmental concerns, perhaps it isn't you. If your direct experience is negative, then you have a valid concern and China has a large problem. Unfortunately, until there are real consequences for this national behavior, don't look for any substantive changes. tim

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Can we stick to the issue of amidol and leave Chinese domestic policy and problems with other Chinese products for the SoapBox?
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    FWIW, I have occasionally had pink staining on prints using Artcraft Amidol, and on a variety of papers, not just one specific brand or type. When it happens, its always on the first, second, and sometimes third print to be developed after mixing the solution. Not being a chemist, I cannot explain why this happens, nor will I try to. Once one or two prints have been developed, everything settles down and works fine.

Doesn't happen every time, just occasionally.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Alex;

You may be using up or absorbing some contaminant. IDK, but I have had that before in some situataions where a photo active ingredient is present at a very low concentration and is used up.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    With the amidol situation as it is, it sounds like there might be a couple of things to do in general. Since it is mixed once per session, these precautions might be in order and I guess I'll be doing them each time I use some. Anyone care to add to this list of remedies?

First : strain the developer once it is mixed, coffee filter, paper towel, napkin or whatever seems to be fairly fine, easy and cheap to use
    Second: take an unexposed sheet of sacrificial paper (cheap again, not first quality) and dunk it in the developer for a couple of minutes, then toss
    Third: make prints

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin