Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,582,053   Online: 791

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Howell View Post
    Dont forget to use a red safe light.
    I've had no problems with it using Graded Paper
    safelights; orange-ish yellow. Tests I just finished
    using Beer's contrast control developer yielded grades
    2 & 3/4 and 3 & 3/4; Unibrom 160, Beer's 1 & 7. Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dancqu View Post
    I've had no problems with it using Graded Paper
    safelights; orange-ish yellow. Tests I just finished
    using Beer's contrast control developer yielded grades
    2 & 3/4 and 3 & 3/4; Unibrom 160, Beer's 1 & 7. Dan
    Intresting, the Slavich data sheet and Freestyle make a point of using a red safelight. Next time I order from PF I will add Beer's to my list.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dumb question perhaps...

In the olden days (when I was a kid) I used to use red light bulbs as safelights. They were cheap, and they were dim (25 watts usually) so if you kept them far enough away from the paper they did the job quite well.

Are they red enough for Slavich paper (and the Fotokemika papers that require red safelights)?

If not I can always get another safelight, but red light bulbs are a lot easier to find.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Large Format
    That bromportrait sounds interesting, any examples around? I'd love to find a replacement for Forte warmtone that is less expensive than the Ilford offering. I can't afford the Ilford warmtone..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    Dumb question perhaps...

In the olden days (when I was a kid) I used to use red light bulbs as safelights. They were cheap, and they were dim (25 watts usually) so if you kept them far enough away from the paper they did the job quite well.

Are they red enough for Slavich paper (and the Fotokemika papers that require red safelights)?

If not I can always get another safelight, but red light bulbs are a lot easier to find.
    In the past I used redlight and orange bulbs for improvised darkrooms with some success, keep your prints face down in the developer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillip P. Dimor View Post
    That bromportrait sounds interesting, any examples around? I'd love to find a replacement for Forte warmtone that is less expensive than the Ilford offering. I can't afford the Ilford warmtone..
    You may want to look at Foma warm tone.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mikepry View Post
    I really like this paper as well. I think it's just great. I have in fact toned it with selenium and was quite pleased with the results. example
    Mike, I like this shot. I'm using Slavich Grade-3 for some of my images and I love the tonality. How long did you tone in the 1:20 KRST? I have found with the single weight I get different looks at 3 minutes and 5- 7 minutes. The shorter time in the selenium seems to keep it a little more on the very slight warm side and if I tone for the 5-7 minutes I get more of a slight eggplant tone. anyone else get this? I wonder if it is the single weight/ I have some double weight I'm going to try today and I'll let everyone know the results.

Jim

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Howell View Post
    Intresting, the Slavich data sheet and Freestyle make
    a point of using a red safelight.
    Next time I order from PF I will add Beer's to my list.
    From the Factory to the dealer. If the first is not
    correct then likely everyone there after will have it
    wrong. Slavich papers are Graded papers so have no
    use for green light as do VC papers. The orange-ish
    yellow to yellow-ish orange Graded paper safelights
    are much easier to work by. Those that use VC
    safe lights when working with Graded paper
    are missing out on a big advantage
    Graded has over VC.

I'll add soon some more to the current thread
    All Grade 2 Papers ... . Beer's and four papers,
    their interaction is the subject. Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm happy to hear the good reports about Slavich. I talked with a very experienced commercial photographer last May when he had just received some test samples. He dreaded the tests and their results. One issue that came up in our conversation was consistency. I will be interested to hear any reports on how consistent these papers are from batch to batch.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by nworth View Post
    I'm happy to hear the good reports about Slavich. I talked with a very experienced commercial photographer last May when he had just received some test samples. He dreaded the tests and their results. One issue that came up in our conversation was consistency. I will be interested to hear any reports on how consistent these papers are from batch to batch.
    I have ordered 3 times over the past 6 monts with a 4th order pending, so far quality control seems to be fine. My observation from using other Eastern European papers and films, paper seems to have few issues than film. Slavich is rather new to the US market and so far only their paper is available. I dont anything about the firm, it's size, how it is holding up, pending going out of business. It's papers seem to be very much a 70's technology and look.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin