Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,187   Online: 856

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For those using orange-ish safelights:

Are OC filters OK...or not?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    In the olden days (when I was a kid) I used to use red light bulbs as safelights. They were cheap, and they were dim (25 watts usually) so if you kept them far enough away from the paper they did the job quite well.

Are they red enough for Slavich paper (and the Fotokemika papers that require red safelights)?
    There's no cut-and-dried answer to this question. Personally, I've got a red tungsten bulb (sold as a "safelight bulb" from either B&H or Freestyle) and a red LED bulb (sold by http://www.superbrightleds.com) in my darkroom. I haven't done any safelight tests with Slavich papers and these bulbs, although I've done safelight tests with VC papers and my bulbs. That said, I noticed no obvious fogging on the few sheets of Bromoportrait I've used.

The Bromoportrait is a pretty slow paper. On the one hand, that means it would probably take longer to fog, assuming its red sensitivity is proportionally lower than that of other papers. On the other hand, its slowness means it'll be out in the red safelights for longer, since it'll be sitting on the easel exposed to red safelights while it's being exposed. If the paper's red sensitivity is comparable to that of other papers, this could translate into greater risk. My suspicion is that the first is a more likely scenario than the second, but this is just a guess.

The bottom line: To be sure, nothing can substitute for a real safelight test.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PVia View Post
    For those using orange-ish safelights: Are OC filters OK...or not?
    I'd expect them to be more than OK. The OC filters
    block both blue and green light. They are primarily
    used with VC papers. Dan

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I use that Thompson safelight and don't have any trouble at all with fogging.
    "EVERY film and paper is good .......... for something"
    Phil Davis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Forma recommends X-ray safelights for its paper, and warns against the usual OC. Looking at the response curves, it looks like the OC would be all right for short exposures, but it is cutting things pretty close. My guess is that Slavich paper is similar. Red safelights are definitely OK.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin