Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,971   Posts: 1,523,549   Online: 794

Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415161721 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    This was during my first lesson in developing prints:

I did everything right, I thought, but nothing showed up when I was developing the print. I suddenly knew what it was (I couldnt have mixed the chemicals up, because I had developed about 5 prints before this one) , I forgot to slide the red filter back which I used to focus
    So I basically developed a piece of paper that had never seen the 'real light'.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I did the same in the past where the slider was half way. So your print is halved. You look in the develop tray and try to figure out what happened.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd not try to focus through that red filter. Having that extra filter in the light path can throw you off. It's ok for setting up the composition, but I'd rather do that with a scrap sheet of paper in the easel anyway. Basically, I've found that the red "safety" filter is pretty useless.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Willie Jan View Post
    I did the same in the past where the slider was half way. So your print is halved. You look in the develop tray and try to figure out what happened.
    Or the slider isn't positioned under the lens at all, but the image takes far too long to appear and when it appears it's faint. You then notice that it's mirrored, so that tells you exposed the back of the paper.

Shooter
    35mm
    Basically, I've found that the red "safety" filter is pretty useless.
    Useless 90% of the time and priceless when you need to register masks, multiple exposures or stitches.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Anon Ymous View Post
    Or the slider isn't positioned under the lens at all, but the image takes far too long to appear and when it appears it's faint. You then notice that it's mirrored, so that tells you exposed the back of the paper.
    That's the thing that I remember from when I started. I forget the paper (some Kodak fiber based), but I had a bit of trouble for a while telling the emulsion side from the back. I had to make sure I kept the paper envelope oriented right, so I could tell by rote which way was up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The emulsion side feels smoother than the back side.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I was told to gingerly lick the paper to discover which side was the emulsion side. Yes, they do taste different.

My latest bonehead move in the darkroom was being so anxious to see a print that I took it out of the developer and out of the darkroom. It didn't look so good solarized.

Shooter
    35mm
    Endless list of stupid mistakes even though i haven't been at this for too long.

One of the most recent and expensive was loading a expired but perfectly good 50feet bulk roll of FP4+ onto the bulkloader, closing up and switching on the lights and watching the screw that seals the rotating gate lying on the desk. a ludicrous amount of profanity in spanish AND english ensued as i fumbled to get the lights back off and the screw/cap in place. The film was badly fogged so i just kept it for things like testing fixer and trying to coax some dust out of the velvet lips of teh cassette bodies.

Countless sheets of perfectly good paper wasted because of things like wrong filters, o no filters at all...

One of my favorites is doing a test print at a wide aperture to keep exposures short, deciding i need to close up one stop, actually doing it, going off to the bathroom to get prints washing, get a cigarette or whatever only to come back to the darkroom unable to remember what the initial setting was and how many stops i had moved it. Start all over...

Plastic reels with some residual moisture is one of the mistakes i'm the least eager to make again...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You really don't have to lick the paper to find the emulsion side - just touch the corner of the paper to your lip - the emulsion side will feel tacky and the back side won't.
    Gord

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaTom View Post
    I was told to gingerly lick the paper to discover which side was the emulsion side. Yes, they do taste different.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin