Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,683   Posts: 1,548,533   Online: 921

Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2678910111213141516171822 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    I have two big mistakes I made, but actually worked out in my favor. The first was when I was loading film and, well it wasn't really light safe to begin with but I dropped the film into the kitty litter. Within micro seconds, i scooped it up developed it and had some amazing images. The second time I ended up with reticulation, again though it fit the subject matter. So I've been lucky.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Fixer does not make a terrific first solution for processing your film, especially when you are on a time deadline to get shots printed and delivered to the printer in two hours and you have to go back to reshoot! Luckily I realized it just as I finished pouring it into the tank, so I didn't waste time processing and washing to discover the stupidity.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have developed this nasty habit of growing absent minded and opening my paper safe with the lights still on. Wide range of effects. Face up and ruined top two sheets with edge fogging on rest. Face down with little discernable affect as the edges were burnt in doing contact proof sheets. But, geez, man. I mean, like, whoa. Ya know? Man.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Shot a roll of 120 tri-x to complement the color graduation portraits I took of my son's friend. Forgot to put the plastic center core in the tank. Managed to fog the first three frames but the rest, miraculously, were unharmed. Freaking brilliant, eh?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have heard of a beginner in digital photography pick up some real black and white paper and print on it via inkjet. They thought because it said black and white paper and they wanted to print black and white they had the right stuff.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think it's fitting that my first post be a stupid mistake story.

A friend was watching while I tank processed a 35mm roll of Delta 100 my (9th roll so far) and I was walking her through the different steps.

After washing, I eyedrop 2-3 mL of PhotoFlo per tank and let it sit for 30 seconds. I tell her, "this is PhotoFlo" and explain it. "Wait, what's it called?" "PhotoFlo." "Photo Fixer?"

She noticed that the label read Kodak Rapid Fixer Hardener B! (I left it out of my fixer solution.)

I have no idea how I mixed the bottles up, but I basically did a final hardener bath for several rolls. At least I now realize why my negs developed at home were so hard.

Anyone have any thoughts on archival or printing effects? Or solutions? (Is this another thread?)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ektagraphic View Post
    I have heard of a beginner in digital photography pick up some real black and white paper and print on it via inkjet. They thought because it said black and white paper and they wanted to print black and white they had the right stuff.
    Whatever works! The more people buy the longer they will make it!!!

(wonder how he felt when his B&W print turned pink... )

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Ektagraphic View Post
    Beautiful

Only thing I experienced as of late is a girl checking her text messages right above the paper developer with aprox. 4 to 5 11x14's in there...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by robbert View Post

Only thing I experienced as of late is a girl checking her text messages right above the paper developer with aprox. 4 to 5 11x14's in there...
    That kind of stuff happens too often in the school darkroom. Worst was when I just took out a fresh sheet of paper, and the girl next to me decides to check her phone. All of a sudden I see a blast of white light hit my paper.

A similar thing happened in the color darkroom. The person at the enlarger station behind me raised the enlarger head to put in the neg carrier with the focusing light still on. It happened just when I took out a slice of paper. I threw it out, waited until the light went out, took out another one, then it happened again. I hear the people next to me yell, "Hey! C'mon! Shut it off!"

I'm always making stupid darkroom mistakes, but the most heartbreaking (not a darkroom blunder per se) happened when I opened the back of the wrong camera thinking the roll was shot and rewound. Nope. Of course I fogged the shots I was most excited to see developed.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Walrath View Post
    I have developed this nasty habit of growing absent minded and opening my paper safe with the lights still on. Wide range of effects. Face up and ruined top two sheets with edge fogging on rest. Face down with little discernable affect as the edges were burnt in doing contact proof sheets. But, geez, man. I mean, like, whoa. Ya know? Man.
    I don't own a paper safe, but what I do to make sure my paper is, you know, safe, is to have a good routine. Take a sheet out of the box, throw it on the easel, close the box. Yada yada yada...do all the other stuff. Once I get to the point of turning on a light...I'll turn my head and 'look' at my box of paper. Is it closed? Check. Turn on the light. Maybe treating every sheet like it's super precious will help. (it is, isn't it?) Having just a touch of the OC in me helps too.

Every once in a while though, (just for fun I suppose)...I'll turn on the enlarger, set the timer, change my filters, dodge, burn and whatever...before ever taking paper out of the box. Laughing and cursing follow swiftly.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin