Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,242   Posts: 1,680,084   Online: 870

Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2678910111213141516171822 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have heard of a beginner in digital photography pick up some real black and white paper and print on it via inkjet. They thought because it said black and white paper and they wanted to print black and white they had the right stuff.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think it's fitting that my first post be a stupid mistake story.

A friend was watching while I tank processed a 35mm roll of Delta 100 my (9th roll so far) and I was walking her through the different steps.

After washing, I eyedrop 2-3 mL of PhotoFlo per tank and let it sit for 30 seconds. I tell her, "this is PhotoFlo" and explain it. "Wait, what's it called?" "PhotoFlo." "Photo Fixer?"

She noticed that the label read Kodak Rapid Fixer Hardener B! (I left it out of my fixer solution.)

I have no idea how I mixed the bottles up, but I basically did a final hardener bath for several rolls. At least I now realize why my negs developed at home were so hard.

Anyone have any thoughts on archival or printing effects? Or solutions? (Is this another thread?)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ektagraphic View Post
    I have heard of a beginner in digital photography pick up some real black and white paper and print on it via inkjet. They thought because it said black and white paper and they wanted to print black and white they had the right stuff.
    Whatever works! The more people buy the longer they will make it!!!

(wonder how he felt when his B&W print turned pink... )

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Ektagraphic View Post
    Beautiful

Only thing I experienced as of late is a girl checking her text messages right above the paper developer with aprox. 4 to 5 11x14's in there...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by robbert View Post

Only thing I experienced as of late is a girl checking her text messages right above the paper developer with aprox. 4 to 5 11x14's in there...
    That kind of stuff happens too often in the school darkroom. Worst was when I just took out a fresh sheet of paper, and the girl next to me decides to check her phone. All of a sudden I see a blast of white light hit my paper.

A similar thing happened in the color darkroom. The person at the enlarger station behind me raised the enlarger head to put in the neg carrier with the focusing light still on. It happened just when I took out a slice of paper. I threw it out, waited until the light went out, took out another one, then it happened again. I hear the people next to me yell, "Hey! C'mon! Shut it off!"

I'm always making stupid darkroom mistakes, but the most heartbreaking (not a darkroom blunder per se) happened when I opened the back of the wrong camera thinking the roll was shot and rewound. Nope. Of course I fogged the shots I was most excited to see developed.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Walrath View Post
    I have developed this nasty habit of growing absent minded and opening my paper safe with the lights still on. Wide range of effects. Face up and ruined top two sheets with edge fogging on rest. Face down with little discernable affect as the edges were burnt in doing contact proof sheets. But, geez, man. I mean, like, whoa. Ya know? Man.
    I don't own a paper safe, but what I do to make sure my paper is, you know, safe, is to have a good routine. Take a sheet out of the box, throw it on the easel, close the box. Yada yada yada...do all the other stuff. Once I get to the point of turning on a light...I'll turn my head and 'look' at my box of paper. Is it closed? Check. Turn on the light. Maybe treating every sheet like it's super precious will help. (it is, isn't it?) Having just a touch of the OC in me helps too.

Every once in a while though, (just for fun I suppose)...I'll turn on the enlarger, set the timer, change my filters, dodge, burn and whatever...before ever taking paper out of the box. Laughing and cursing follow swiftly.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Willie Jan View Post
    I did the same in the past where the slider was half way. So your print is halved. You look in the develop tray and try to figure out what happened.
    Done that.

Shooter
    35mm
    Making holograms, I was working with a lab partner. We had a box of about a half a dozen holographic plates, and the table in the darkroom was the opposite end from the lightswitch. My lab partner was loading and I was in charge of the light:
    <<Lights out>>
    plateholder opened
    box of plates opened
    sticky side of plate found, put in to holder with the sticky side facing out
    darkslide inserted into holder
    checked to make sure holder light tight
    me: "OK, shall I turn the light on?"
    "Yeah"
    "You sure?"
    "Yup it's all sealed up"
    <<LIGHT ON>>
    "OH SH!!!!"
    <<LIGHT OFF>>
    "What happened?"
    "Left the box of plates open"
    "Oh. Well it was only exposed for a second or so" [we were using 30s exposures with a 5mw laser to make the holograms, so naively thought this might not be too bad]
    We told the lab technician and he just kind of sunk and told us how much they cost (more than £100, approximately 2 weeks rent), and how difficult it was at that time to get hold of more. There was talk of there being a global shortage of holographic plates and it being pretty much impossible to get hold of more. Don't know how true that was though (this was in about 2005/6).
    That was probably my most expensive darkroom accident, but luckily it came out of the physics dept budget and not our pockets...

Images
    I, of course, have never in my 70 years made a mistake, unless it is trying to say that with a straight face. The stupidest I have yet heard of was two beginning photo students sitting in the lunchroom dividing a box of 4x5 film: 1 for you, one for me, etc. Instructor happens by and says:"Now you've exposed the whole box!" to which they replied "It's OK. They haven't even been in the camera yet."
    Gadget Gainer

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gainer View Post
    I, of course, have never in my 70 years made a mistake, unless it is trying to say that with a straight face. The stupidest I have yet heard of was two beginning photo students sitting in the lunchroom dividing a box of 4x5 film: 1 for you, one for me, etc. Instructor happens by and says:"Now you've exposed the whole box!" to which they replied "It's OK. They haven't even been in the camera yet."
    Haha. Too funny.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin