Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,790   Posts: 1,671,540   Online: 889

Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 37891011121314151617181923 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    A couple of days ago I somehow managed to load a Hewes 35mm reel backwards. "Not possible" I hear you say. Well it is if you roll the film around itself about six or seven times and then just loosely place the remainder in the rest of the reel. I knew it wasn't loading properly, and in fact although I regularly use Hewes 120 reels, I've only used the 35mm ones a few times, but I didn't for a second think that I was loading in the wrong direction. The sprocket holes hooked up just fine, it was the rest which didn't work. It was just a test roll from a paper pinhole camera, and surprisingly enough, I did manage to salvage about seven or eight shots.
    Last edited by Kevin Caulfield; 10-11-2009 at 10:17 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gainer View Post
    I, of course, have never in my 70 years made a mistake, unless it is trying to say that with a straight face. The stupidest I have yet heard of was two beginning photo students sitting in the lunchroom dividing a box of 4x5 film: 1 for you, one for me, etc. Instructor happens by and says:"Now you've exposed the whole box!" to which they replied "It's OK. They haven't even been in the camera yet."
    THAT IS GREAT! Do you have an eight? LMBO.
    Thank you.
    -CW

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    35mm
    This thread is golden. It's not that I like to laugh at others' mistakes, but I learn alot by reading these mistakes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm brand new to LF... but apparently, not to arithmatic... checked two sets of notes, (exposure and processing) was sure I had finished my first box of 25... actually, thought I had just loaded #25 into the holder, and was silently grumbling to myself because it seemed such a waste to only load one side of a holder. I turned on the lights and there were three unused, and now unuseable sheets sitting on the table. The weird thing is that my accounting of sheets is only up to 24 now... what in the world did I do with a single sheet of film?

On the bright side, for my first attempts, I think I got some very useable negatives... I'm definitely hooked.
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm just back in the darkroom for the first time in 10 years. Personally, I'm finding the red safety filter indispensable, despite knowing I didn't use it back in the day...maybe I'm just being extra cautious these days because I'm not used to printing anymore. So cautious in fact, I've "exposed" several test strips under it and every time needed at least a full minute of development to realize what I did wrong again. I tell myself that at least I haven't had any major screw-ups on full sheets of paper, but when you fuck up 4 test strips, well...the end result is the same.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Maybe a new one?

This just happened this morning.

I was moving a camera bag in my darkroom and inadvertently pulled a 4 lb. rock off of a shelf. The rock fell down 3 ft. into a box holding 3 Kowa Super 66 backs (which I'd recently listed for sale here). The rough/shabby back took the brunt, fortunately. The word "asunder" comes to mind, tho' this is the first time I've ever used it. I've now changed the classified to 2 backs for sale...

What am I doing with a 4 lb. rock 3 ft. up on a shelf in my darkroom? Long story, but I used to work in silver mines and this is a souvenir, about 85% pure, so it's heavy. (Yes, I got permission from the mine manager to take it home with me when I left) So, an appropriate prop in a darkroom, but I think it'll become the new doorstop now.

Anyone else ever have this happen?

Michael Robert Taylor
    Ottawa

I wish I'D said that.... Bartlett

http://www.apug.org/gallery1/browsei...imageuser=7358

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gainer View Post
    Instructor happens by and says:"Now you've exposed the whole box!" to which they replied "It's OK. They haven't even been in the camera yet."
    Any of us that have been around this long enough (40+ years for me) have come across someone who took a flashlight (torch) into the darkroom so they could see what they were doing when they "had" to turn the lights out.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    em.....shot what i thought was gonna be a good roll of T-Max with a superb model out on location and then developed the roll in fixer and fixed the film in developer.....em.....great.....

Shooter
    35mm
    This was quite horrible: two nights ago I wanted to drain 100ml of RA4 developer out of my Nova slot processor and replenish with 100ml new. I turned the little tap, drained out the correct amount, shut off the tap only for the tap to drop off!

Surprising how quickly a Nova processor can drain when you don't want it to. 750ml of RA4 developer later I was mopping it off the floor and my clothes. What a stink!

hec
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was doing single tray processing 11x14's due to space constrictions on my previous "darkroom" (8x10 trays were not a problem) when I poured the stop bath back into the developer bottle! luckily the bottles were inside a tray so there was no overspill on the floor.
    Afterwards I had 1 funnel only on the bottles. Right now I have a bigger space, not that big, but I can have 4 16x20 trays at a time.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin