Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,764   Posts: 1,516,300   Online: 1084

Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ... 610111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Several times I have been just about to insert my arm into the dark bag with my watch on, I have even gotten it into the bag a couple of times, but luckily I haven't un-spooled any film with the watch in the bag yet. This is one of those nifty watches with the glow in the dark hands that I'm sure would make "interesting" results on my film.
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Part unlucky accident, part mistake...

After two "dry runs" (although not really dry) with 3x2 litres of water, it was time to finally run my newly acquired CAP-40S processor with Ilfochrome chemistry. Poured in via the tubes. First 1 litre of water in each, then add the concentrates. 1 litre of dev, check. 1 litre of bleach, check. 1 litre of fix, okay, it's in. Put the plug back in the tube. Push tube back into the machine.

Uh-oh, this is going into the machine a bit too far. Pull it back out a bit. Mmm, that's only the plug I'm now holding in my hands, the tube is now stuck inside the machine. And 2 litres of fix start to pour out of the tube that is stuck inside the front of the machine.

So far, just an unlucky accident, one might say.

Then, the reflexes kicked in. "If the fix is pouring out at the front, I could just tilt the whole machine backward and stop the flow." I did that before I realised that it is of course an open system, so now fix, bleach and dev poured out at the back side of the machine. Stupid mistake, but that's what happens when reflexes take over.

The residual current circuit breaker kicked in, so the darkroom was now truly dark. Open the door, make sure the cats don't come in, and spend the rest of the afternoon cleaning up the bathroom while kicking self.

All those people who only shoot digital really don't know what they are missing...

Inspected and dried the machine, looks OK, even after showering it with lots of water. So, I'll soon do another test run with water and if all is fine, I'll just order the next set of Ilfochrome chemistry. This time to use it on Ilfochrome material, and not on the bathroom floor...

shuttr.net
    -- A sinister little midget with a bucket and a mop / Where the blood goes down the drain --

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bblhed View Post
    Several times I have been just about to insert my arm into the dark bag with my watch on, I have even gotten it into the bag a couple of times, but luckily I haven't un-spooled any film with the watch in the bag yet. This is one of those nifty watches with the glow in the dark hands that I'm sure would make "interesting" results on my film.
    I douubt that wearing the watch would have made any difference. The human eye is much more sensitive than most films. I have routinely loaded film in a tenk with visable small light leaks about a makeshift "darkroom." Never experienced any fogging.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    I douubt that wearing the watch would have made any difference. The human eye is much more sensitive than most films. I have routinely loaded film in a tenk with visable small light leaks about a makeshift "darkroom." Never noticed any fogging.
    I fixed that last line for you....

Now let me explain why, film fogging isn't a yes/no proposition, it's more like, very slight fogging could reduce film speed and contrast by a very slight amount, and unless you process two identical rolls one in your darkroom and one in a changing bag, and compare the two on a light table and see slightly better contrast and speed in one of them, you may never notice it.
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

Shooter
    35mm
    Last time I developed sheet film, with my IR goggles, I noticed that one of the sheets was completely unexposed (I must have forgot to remove the darkslide). As an experiment, I stuck the still-wet film sheet right onto my gralab timer, with the glowing numerals, for several seconds. I continued developing that sheet for several minutes but no image ever showed up. I was very surprised.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    35mm
    I've been developing my film only for some months and so far had one incindent that could be considered as a stupid mistake. I had serius trouble getting a specific film on a reel, but finally I managed to do it. Then I opened my darkroom (well, actually bathroom) door only to notice that I had forgot to put the cap on the tank. I quickly closed the door, put the cap on and then deveoped the film. I was sure the negative is ruined, so I was quite surprised to see it came out pretty nice.
    I like my film stirred, not shaken.
    Flickr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    PhotoFlo does not work as a fixer. Hypo works much better. I had to first rinse the film many times before I resumed processing with the hypo.

[This is the real hypo, not HCA which properly Hypo Clearing Agent that some dunderheads insist on calling hypo. These dunderheads are able to argue for hours rather than engage their brains. ]
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Every once in a while though, (just for fun I suppose)...I'll turn on the enlarger, set the timer, change my filters, dodge, burn and whatever...before ever taking paper out of the box. Laughing and cursing follow swiftly.
    Yes this sounds like something I could/would/have done. I read all the posts but none have admitted to one of my stunts. What it is I have 2 developing tanks that used to look identical. One full of film the other not. No sense in me boring you with the details but I am sure you can forecast the ending of this story. Yellow electrical tape around one of them now.

Shooter
    35mm
    leaning back agesnt the wall... and my back pops the light switch... im like sh**! but by then, its too late... have had some amazing results with prints though where it looks like a negative... but from now on, i always take the bulb out if im doing critical or once in a lifetime shots or work!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jm94 View Post
    leaning back agesnt the wall... and my back pops the light switch... !
    that is why I have invested in switch covers
    D-76 is a standard developer, although not one I use.
    Ansel Adams - The Negative

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin