Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,189   Posts: 1,658,895   Online: 934

Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 711121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mine is only a near miss.

One day, I was printing with paper out of my paper safe and I ran out. I thought, ok, no problem. On the light comes on and out the darkroom to get a box of paper from a closet. Now with an empty paper safe with full box of paper on my desk, I proceeded to open the paper safe. My hand goes to the box of paper and I start to open the box. WAIT, THE LIGHT IS STILL ON!

From this time on, I always put a piece of painter's tape (the blue kind) on my paper box just to slow me down and add an extra step to catch myself.

I came close few more times but the tape always reminds me to do it in the dark.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Ohhh I like that blue tape idea. Thanks for the share.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't. The point is, if I try to open it in light, I will see that blue tape that will remind me NOT to do that. It will also add an extra step before I can cause some damage.

You can try red, pink, fuchsia, or purple tape. Your mileage may vary.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah, I felt that tugging. Thanks, I spilled my soda because of that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zsas View Post
    Took lid off tank (Patterson) and started draining developer chemistry by holding tank on the side and the light tight seal lid fell off, flashing a few frames. Moral, one hand on side to pour while second hand acts as a safety to make sure light barrier lid doesn't fall off. Think it must have unseated itself whilst all the agitation or I never locked the light lid in all the way when I loaded the film. Never the less hope a newby can learn from my silliness.
    I've had something similar happen to me - and eventually I discovered that the red rim on one of my Paterson tanks was loose on one side.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well my stupid mistake: Dumb enough I did twice! Loaded my film in the jobo tank poured in water and turned on the machine. One minute later I throw the water away. Pour in eveloper put the tank on the mchine and walk away for 8,5 minutes. When I come back I see the the tank is not rotating! So I turn on the machine and leave it for another 8 minutes in the developer. The photo's are usable but som are light and others are dark and some are half light and half dark.
    So remember turn on the machine before leaving to do something else...or better yet don't leave at all!
    Reality is whatever stays when you stop believing in it.
    allthingsanalogue.weebly.com
    darkroomninja.blogspot.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jm94 View Post
    leaning back agesnt the wall... and my back pops the light switch... im like sh**! but by then, its too late... have had some amazing results with prints though where it looks like a negative... but from now on, i always take the bulb out if im doing critical or once in a lifetime shots or work!
    I set up relays to protect myself from accidentally turning on the light. If the safelight is on, the relay for the safelight disconnects the regular light, so the regular light switch functions, but the light doesn't come on. (and vice versa).

Doesn't stop me from intentionally turning the safelight off and turning the light on. I was multi-tasking; developing a print while transferring a second one to the fixer. I got the print in the fixer and it looked good so I wanted to turn the light on for a better look. I forgot about the one in the developer and turned the light on for a second or two till I noticed it and shut it off again.

I got a super cool solarized print. Really the best image of the whole darkroom session. And I couldn't make another one just exactly like it.

My answer is not to multitask when you are overtired. I also put in a brighter safelight system so I have to turn on the lights less frequently. I put in a tracklight with red led bulbs in the cans for the safelight illumination.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    worst ever? first time I developed colour having done loads of B&W one shot development. I had the chems warmed precisly, was critical with time and every step. It was only when I finished washing and was hanging the film to dry I realised - I had just poured the entire, brand new stock of developers and fixer away. Doh!

Shooter
    35mm
    I have this negative I like but is very annoying to burn in properly- after about a dozen tries, I nailed down the timing correctly- it takes about 15 minutes in total. After making this last print, I finally place it in the developer tank, and then turn my back to do some other tasks. I come back about a minute later and notice that part of the print is not covered in developer, but it's too late. Even after placing it in and waiting another minute, you can still see a ring where the surface of the developer was, so I had to make another one. Very frustrating indeed.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by StevieG View Post
    worst ever? first time I developed colour having done loads of B&W one shot development. I had the chems warmed precisly, was critical with time and every step. It was only when I finished washing and was hanging the film to dry I realised - I had just poured the entire, brand new stock of developers and fixer away. Doh!
    That's not so bad, the stuff only lives about 48 hours anyway, that's why I gave up on colour in 1983, you spend $20 ($42 in Today's money, although my income hasn't more then doubled ) on chemicals and they die before you get the third roll done. Easier to just give the colour to a lab....
    Paul Schmidt
    See my Blog at http://clickandspin.blogspot.com

The greatest advance in photography in the last 100 years is not digital, it's odourless stop bath....

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin