Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,914   Posts: 1,584,699   Online: 709

Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 11151617181920212223242526 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Last night I was developing single sheets of panchromatic 8x10" film in trays 1 at a time, total darkness of course, and as I pulled my 2nd sheet out of the developer I discovered that I had developed it with a piece of interleaving paper on top of it!

I cursed myself, but near the end of the fix I popped on the lights and as far as I can tell, there was no ill effect.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    A student came running out of the darkroom and said Clive, you need to come and look at my enlarger, as I think the bulb is going because it has gone all dim.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Absolutely knackered at the end of documenting a two week festival in Fremantle - Eartly hours of the morning set up the film cassettes, reels and rods - Shut my eyes tight and loaded 5 rolls of film

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Recently a friend of mine who's a professional photographer but has never used film came up to me in the street with a box of 16x20 Ilford paper under his arm. He knew I'm building a darkroom and he told me how a client of his had given him this box of unused paper her late husband had. My mate said "Is it any use to you?" and with a flourish he opened the box and riffled through the paper!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Many years ago I once tried a two-solution developer on some negatives and didn't get a thing, couldn't go back and re-shoot either...

Another time I somehow managed to wind a roll of 35mm on a SS spool backwards, revealed by a light streak running down the center of the film where my finger was resting!

Yet another time- I do not know to this day why it occurred- I made up a fairly stiff glycin paper developer and exposed an image on Kodak RC paper which probably had developer incorporated in the emulsion. Either the developer was rather warm and/or the embedded developing agent was wildly superadditive with glycin, but about five seconds after I slipped the paper in the developer- FWOOF! The image appeared almost instantaneously! And it was actually satisfactory for my purpose... This was about 1981 or so...
    I would love to use the "FP" flash setting on my camera, but I cannot find "Flash Powder" anywhere... such is life.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lesm View Post
    Recently a friend of mine who's a professional photographer but has never used film came up to me in the street with a box of 16x20 Ilford paper under his arm. He knew I'm building a darkroom and he told me how a client of his had given him this box of unused paper her late husband had. My mate said "Is it any use to you?" and with a flourish he opened the box and riffled through the paper!
    Um, no ...

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    A few days ago I wanted to develop a roll of 120 film. I was using a stainless steel tank with a stainless steel cap. I had prepared everything and was just about to start pouring the pre-wash water into the tank. But instead of removing the small cap I removed the big one altogether. Ouch!
    Luckily there was nothing unique and unrepeatable on that film.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlad Soare View Post
    A few days ago I wanted to develop a roll of 120 film. I was using a stainless steel tank with a stainless steel cap. I had prepared everything and was just about to start pouring the pre-wash water into the tank. But instead of removing the small cap I removed the big one altogether. Ouch!
    Luckily there was nothing unique and unrepeatable on that film.
    That was two mistakes in one.
    Pre-wash was the first one. Prewash was abandoned early in the 1920s.
    Not neccessary and may cause uneven development.

The second mistake was much more critical though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tronds and I totally disagree about the advisability of a pre-soak.

I use it consistently, and I find it improves the evenness of my development, and repeatability of my results.

Vive le difference!
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Tronds, I wouldn't touch the pre-wash thing if I were you. You'll start a war.
    On the other hand, that might be fun to watch. I'll get the popcorn and Coke.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin