Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,515   Posts: 1,572,075   Online: 1167

Page 22 of 26 FirstFirst ... 121617181920212223242526 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The most stupid mistake I've done until now, is that I exposed a print (for Lith) trough the backside of the paper, i exosed it for 5 minutes in 1 minute intervals.

After sitting for 20 minutes, poking the print, agitating the tray and generally staring into the tray, swearing and cursing this useless paper because I wasn't seeing any activity, I took it out to throw it in the bin

Then I saw that I have had the paper upside down in the tray as well, the Lith process had happily turned the whole paper black! :P
    -
    "Nice picture, you must have an amazing camera."
    Visit my photography blog at: http://helino-photo.blogspot.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlad Soare View Post
    Tronds, I wouldn't touch the pre-wash thing if I were you. You'll start a war.
    On the other hand, that might be fun to watch. I'll get the popcorn and Coke.

I know that.
    Prewashing MAY work well, but many have got problems because of that. Many of them has stopped using prewash and the problems disappeared.
    Uneven development is the devil that lurks in the shadows.

Some have even tried prewash with two-bath developers. That is a recipe for catastrophy.

But since this is about darkroom mistakes, I have to supply mine.

I was loading a Tri-X 120 film into a plastic reel. Well, at least I tried. It woldn't go in. It just jammed time after time and I had to pull it out of the reel and try again. After working with it for about half an hour in the fumblebag, I managed to get the now hot and humid film onto the reel.

After development it had a lot of scratch marks and half-moons from bending the film.

I later discovered that this reel had a defective locking ball on one side. It grabbed the film and just locked it in place.

After this incident I check all my film-reels for function before use.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I just learned an expensive lesson.

Today I ran down to the lake to shoot a few 4x5 negatives with my new Toyo monorail. I shot a mix of Arista Ultra 100, Kodak X-Ray and Illford FP4 plus. I got back, mixed up some R09 and started developing the x-ray film under the safe-light. The negatives were looking good so I turned off the safe-light and ran the Illford and Arista through the trays. Sitting in the dark I waited impatiently for my negatives to sit in the fixer for ten minutes so I could turn on the lights and see the negatives for the first time.

Finally the time came and I held up a negative to the red light. to my surprise it looked pretty thin. Figuring I must have made a mistake in exposure I picked up the next negative hoping for better results. It was worse. By the third negative they were all completely clear! I turned on the regular lights in anger and then was when I realized that my developer was bright blue! I'd completely exhausted it with the double sided x-ray negatives! I knew that x-ray negatives are double sided and that you have to double the amount of developer you mix but I just totally spaced it so I ruined half my film. From now on I'll be sure to process x-ray and regular film separately!
    looking for the battery cover for a early model Canonet QL 17, the round screw in kind.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I was contact printing about seven rolls of film yesterday. After exposing the first contact print I put in into the developer and the darkest tone I could get was a zone v grey.....hmm. After a few more attempts and failures I started to work backwards to try and figure out what I was doing wrong.... I finally figured out that I had mixed and was using Ilford DD-X film developer 1:9 instead of Ilford Multigrade developer at 1:9, it was nice to see the finished contact prints with real blacks!

All the best

Todd

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So far my most utterly dumb mistake has been out of the darkroom. I was taking pictures in this beautiful spot in November and they were all just perfect and the conditions just right when this monarch butterfly landed 2 feet in front of me and I had exactly one frame left. I snagged the picture and i could feel that this was going to be amazing, I could just feel it. Hoping to grab a couple more shots I pulled out another roll of film like I was Rambo and needed another round. I hurredly start rewinding, hoping to get it all done before the butterfly takes off (it's really rare to find a monarch, alive in November in Maine...) All of a sudden I feel a snag. I figure, it must be done rewinding! yay! so i open the back and film flies at me!!! I had forgotten to press the film release!!! The snag i had felt was the film ripped in half! By the time I'd recovered and reloaded the butterfly was long gone and I haven't seen one since.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I thought I had a process by which I would put the empty bulk loaded cartridges in one part of the darkroom and the ones that had exposed film in them waiting to be developed in another part.....well, I forgot my own system and opened a exposed roll thinking it was empty ready to be rebulked...nothing like seeing your film in bright lights before you have processed it...sigh...will process it next weekend....heck it will be interesting looking...not alls lost as I have learned a vital lesson about organization (or lack thereof)...
    Andy

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I suppose a lot of people know this one: closing the tank, pouring the developer and in the same moment you realise yourself that you grabbed the bottle with fixer from the shelf. Needless to say that the pictures of my granddaughter didn't come out well.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I had a student who came running out the darkroom and said "Clive come and look at my enlarger, the light has gone very dim and I think the bulb is going."

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    I had a student who came running out the darkroom and said "Clive come and look at my enlarger, the light has gone very dim and I think the bulb is going."
    So was the bulb dim or was the student the dim bulb?
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Outside the darkroom, the worst thing I ever did was loading an already exposed film in the camera. Seventy two exposures down the drain. Since then I always tear off the leader as soon as I take the cartridge out of the camera. Has worked for me ever since.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin