Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,337   Posts: 1,537,597   Online: 1118

Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1317181920212223242526 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hadeer View Post
    Outside the darkroom, the worst thing I ever did was loading an already exposed film in the camera. Seventy two exposures down the drain. Since then I always tear off the leader as soon as I take the cartridge out of the camera. Has worked for me ever since.

OR you can just completely rewind the film into the cartridge.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hadeer View Post
    Outside the darkroom, the worst thing I ever did was loading an already exposed film in the camera. Seventy two exposures down the drain. Since then I always tear off the leader as soon as I take the cartridge out of the camera. Has worked for me ever since.
    Man, I like half frame, but getting to 72 is ughhh especially when you shoot some slow films. I should roll shorter lengths but then I would have to seperate them out.

Sucks to hear that happened, but then you never know might be some awesome double exposures or overlaps.

This case is better than finding out that you are winding and it goes over 37-38 frames and you realize the film wasnt loaded correctly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Me and my buddy was drunk, well he was worst apparently, we both have a roll of film to develop, in 2 tanks. We loaded each separately and we started his roll first while my tank is sitting on the table. I went to the bathroom to mix the chem, i came back to my room, he grabbed the tank off the table and opened it.

Joe: OOPS
    Me: WTF?!
    Joe: Why is there a roll of film in there?
    Me: Its a developing tank Joe.
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Images
    Imagine bare feet darkroom, 5x7 film box open, Dark slides pulled out of all the film holders each with exposed film, book on tape playing in the background. Large 1/2 inch thick sheet of glass used for contact printing.

Now imagine me thinking that large piece of glass being in the way of unloading and loading the film holders and picking it up. It slipped out of my hands and shattered on the floor.

I learned a lot that day about my darkroom work flow.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    OR you can just completely rewind the film into the cartridge.
    Yep. It always ceases to amaze me when people don't do such an easy process to indicate "shot" vs non-shot. That being said, some people do have a need for recycling commercial carts. But if that isn't the issue by all means rewind it all the way.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Just added another one to the list. Yesterday I was developing x-ray film so I had the safe lights on. When I had two blank sheets come out of the developer I realized I'd grabbed a film holder with regular film in it instead of the one with x-ray film. Oops.

Right after I switched to developing regular sheet film so the lights were off. Only one problem, I forgot to unplug the aquarium heater I use to maintain my water jacket temp. It kicked on and the orang glow from the heater coil put a nice streak through two negatives.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds cliche but the typical did indeed happen to me once: the one and only time I spooled film without a changing back (but in darkness) my cellphone receives a text message and I end up trying desperately to shield said roll of p3200tmz from the metronomic led of the phone. Exposures were still there but fog was prevalent.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    I learned a lot that day about my darkroom work flow.
    And blood flow.
    That sounds like a really bad mistake, one of those things you only do once, like stepping onto the ice at the ice rink with your blade-guards still on. Ouch!

Mark Overton

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    Yep. It always ceases to amaze me when people don't do such an easy process to indicate "shot" vs non-shot. That being said, some people do have a need for recycling commercial carts. But if that isn't the issue by all means rewind it all the way.
    Yeap, I have never had it happen to me. I always rewind fully.

A tip for people who like to leave the leader out, just put a big crease into by bending it backwards and stick into film canister. You will always know it has been shot if you see a big ol crease across the film and leader bent backwards. The crease also makes it harder to load too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Newt_on_Swings View Post
    Yeap, I have never had it happen to me. I always rewind fully.

A tip for people who like to leave the leader out, just put a big crease into by bending it backwards and stick into film canister. You will always know it has been shot if you see a big ol crease across the film and leader bent backwards. The crease also makes it harder to load too.
    Cutting the "tongue" off the film works too.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin