Only had the darkroom about a month now and made some great goofs!
1- Made some nice shelves for the chem bottles above the toilet. 1/2 jugs fit fine. Now using 1gal jugs and shelves are 1/2" too short!
2- Installed a nice brass double hook on said shelf to hang towel,rods,tongs, etc.
Later put enlarger on sink and it hits the new hook! Remove enlarger, unscrew hook...
3- Screwing in other hooks in side shelf, drilled right thru a dev jug! argghh mess!
4-Cut all the first 35mm negs 6 long strips. Neg sheets hold 5 neg strips!
and BTW, why do the sheets hold 35 and roll is 36 and 120 sheets hold 9 and i get 10 exposures? i may sue!
5-Developed TMax with Ilford times.
6- cut neg in half in dim lite.
7- Making contact prints, coming out bad. then realized the glass over the negs was really dirty.
8-Cut nice enlarger plywood board to go over sink. installed it. Forgot about the faucet. back to garage...
9-Moving enlarger back to closet, forgot to lower it and banged it on the door.
10- First 120 roll, loaded the paper on the reel, didnt feel right, picked film off floor and loaded it.
11- Mixed one chem in oz instead of ml.
12- water bath going, didnt know rag fell into bathtub drain, water poured all over my legs,floor...
13- Print not in clip right, fell back into developer.
14- poured fixer back in jug, overflowed. Didnt realize waterbath was flowing into the fixer tray.
i'm sure they're be more! ez
Hey ezwriter, you're making this stuff up, right?
Films came out brown after the fixing stage. I checked the jug of fixer... only to realize I had used the jug of exhausted fixer I had previously used for contact-sheets a few days before. And of course it was diluted 1+9 not 1+4...
Latest mistake: Doing the agitation with big mouth Patterson tank- which stinks BTW-, the lids not on tight and spill devel all over the place. Later, same tank
the room lights on of course and the whole lightight top falls out into the tub. I really lke the smaller Patterson tank WAY better. Plus it uses less chems.
For some reason the film didnt get fogged tho. weird.
Sponsored Ad. (Subscribers to APUG have the option to remove this ad.)
Not exactly a stupid mistake but not really worth a new thread either...
I have been entertaining an idea for a series of portraits of our dear old pooch on a Graflex 4x5. After finally shooting the first six sheets, I put the holders in the closet to keep them out of harm's way. Tonight I went up to the closet and rummaged around and found the holders and dropped the film in the developer. Upon pulling the first sheet out of the fix I was totally bummed to find a blank image. Nothing at all. Naturally I figured I had blundered when mixing the developer so I pulled the other sheets to confirm my mistake. Three more blank sheets. But to my astonishment, frames five and six had images on them - but not of the dog! They were shots of an older fellow standing beside his bike in front of a Mercedes. Nobody I know, that's for sure. As best I can figure, I had some used holders kicking about in the closet and they had somebody else's film in them. Lost some time I guess, but otherwise no harm.
At least, hopefully, you still have your film to develop.
Last edited by fotch; 03-01-2012 at 03:17 AM. Click to view previous post history.
Oooff. I cringed on many of these while going down your list. I feel for you buddy. Well now since you have managed to cover all your bases, you'll be perfectly fine going forward! Education by experience! nothing teaches you better, unless that experience kills you! hehe. And as always you can always ask for help here, apugers are glad to lend a helping hand.
Originally Posted by ezwriter
I wanted to cut some sheet film up from a long aerographic roll.
I checked the darkroom was fully lightproof with some film test strips (it wasn't - much black tape later...)
Then settled down to slice up the film in total darkness, having remembered to leave my mobile phone outside (aha, you won't catch me with that one!)
The temperature dropped. The thermostat cut in. The fan heater came on. It's element glows surprisingly bright red, in the dark...