Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,481,982   Online: 893

Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141519 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I was once given a Paterson contact printer for 35mm, and spent hours "taping" the negatives inside the glass (and even printed a few contact sheets that way!), before I realised the right way to use it

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I once used exhausted fixer on a roll of 120. It came out still pink and mostly solid with just a hint of image. Took it out in broad light and gasped and shoved it back in the tank again. Used fresh fixer and all came out ok.

Also had the top lid stuck once and tried everything to jam it open. Ended up over developing by 4 minutes as I tried desperately to knock the top off against the corner of the sink.
    I brake for fixer!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Aron View Post
    Here is the situation: taking photos at an air show, bulk-loaded film cassettes slightly overloaded (41 frames/cassette). I tried to get the exposures perfect, also using the lens at its best aperture. Trying to get that very last "fantastic" shot of that jet flying just in front of me...
    And I advanced the film after getting to the last frame without thinking, so the tape holding the end of the film to the spool in the cassette broke.
    No way of rewinding the film, no changing bag, no second camera but the air show was still going on waiting for me getting that "amazing" photo... I opened my camera, ripped out the film and tossed it in a bin and reloaded my camera.

People couldn't imagine what the matter was.
    Open the camera.
    [Insert profanity here]
    Remove the cassette.
    [Insert profanity here]
    Bang hard with the end of the cassette to open it.
    [Insert profanity here]
    Re-tape the film to the spool.
    [Insert profanity here]
    Close the cassette.
    [Insert profanity here]
    Put cassette back into the camera.
    [Insert profanity here]
    Close the camera.
    [Insert profanity here]
    Rewind the film.
    [Insert profanity here]
    Remove roll of film.
    [Insert profanity here]
    Load a new roll of film.
    [End profanity mode here]
    Develop the film.
    Most of the photographs will be usable.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Timely thread, in my case...
    I was printing Saturday. I drain my archival print washer into a utility sink, with the hose. For some reason, I had moved the hose out of the sink a few days before. I didn't put it back in before printing. After awhile, I noticed my sneakers getting "squishy"...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I was using reloadable cassettes I would always run the tape around the spindle back around to the other side of the film so it was taped both sides, I never had one tear loose.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Steve,
    I should have thought before throwing the film away. I was just too excited to think. However there were some photos on the other roll, which I liked.

Gary, I today reloaded a cassette, now using your method. I later realised the problem was that the surface between the sticky side of the tape and the film simply wasn't sufficient.

Edit: Thank you Gary for the trick, there was absolutely no problem at the end of the roll of film I shot and developed tonight.
    Last edited by Aron; 08-28-2009 at 04:09 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Aron View Post
    Steve,
    I should have thought before throwing the film away. I was just too excited to think. However there were some photos on the other roll, which I liked.
    I threw out several rolls of Kodak UC 400 in 120, which is no longer available except in my freezer, when the automatic film counter did not go to '1'. Then the other day, I figured out that I should just keep on cranking the film until it was all wound up on the "exposed" spool, and then remove the roll, put a rubber band around it [thus marking it as unexposed], and rewinding it in a changing bag later. Yesteday I got the film back checked out. The repairman mini-cleaned and adjusted it. He could not repeat the problem. But now I have a plan if it happens again.

Steve

Shooter
    Large Format
    Just the other day I left the door open on my uder counter frig. Had most of my paper and film in it. It thawed and soaked most every thing in it. The stuff that was in the plastic inner bag is all right but the older stuff in the paper wrappers, that can not be replaced, is toast.
    Leslie D. Wall
    AKA DeBone75

Shooter
    35mm
    fix develop wash....thats the proper order...right?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bob100684 View Post
    fix develop wash....thats the proper order...right?
    Only on bad days.

Steve

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin