Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,468   Posts: 1,570,827   Online: 1077

Page 1 of 26 123456711 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Stupid mistakes in the darkroom

So I have made my mistakes and i'm sure im not the only one...

So far is my favorite story -
    A few nights ago i was in there and started to roll the film onto the spool. I also had some beer or 3 or 4 and it was the about the forth roll (so I had been in there for a little while to say the least) and I was marveling at how thin and flimsy the the film was and how hard it was to keep the film going onto the spools (what the hell has Ilford done with the backing)! then i got the end, and I started to marvel at how thick and firm the paper was... then it hit me...

Humm... So now I have a new rule, dont drink and develop they dont mix.

So what other stories are out there...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    don't use glass-bottomed aquariums as your water bath for E-6

halfway through processing a roll I dropped something into the tank...glass breaks..and 20 gallons of water at EXACTLY 100F splashes all over the floor...film came out fine, but the floor was a mess

--------then there's the time I opened the developing tank in bright light right after I had poured out the developer...I got stop in there FAST and never noticed anything was wrong

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    I think I know them all....

teaching gives you great stories.

one: a student had to roll up a film on the reel, and the black room was in the darkroom (a room in a room). after a while I thought I had to check on him, and ther he was: standing in the middle of the dark room with his eyes closed, trying to do the thing.....

on the other hand, I have also experienced un-explanable things...

explain this: a summer course - we went very early to the beach side at took some pictures.
    one of the students had brought his own film to the course, and as the film was slightly different than the ones we used, he asked for directions on how to develop his film (it was a normal t-max film - we used Tri-x)
    I showed him the developer etc..

I also kept an eye our for him, and didn't notice anything wrong.

BUT; when the film was ready to dry, it showed the most beautiful - yet strange film I have ever seen!!

it came out as a slightly solarized - toned(dark areas was brown - highlights was blue!!) POSITIVE!!!

it is about ten years ago, and I have still no idea what happened!
    but I'd like to know, as the result was truely amazing!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My 'standard' mistake in the darkroom is to leave the enlarger in focus mode with the VC filters shut out, and then watch absolute mud come up in the developer. With the price of paper escalating as it is I can't afford to make any of those mistakes any longer!

But....this week I have finally, after storing a Logan 750 SimplexPlus Mat Cutter for about 5 years, set it up on the excellent print mounting table my wife built and taught myself to cut mats. The initial errors are comical, but I've gotten the hang of it nonetheless. "Aller anfang ist schwer" (I think?).
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My personal Doh! Confusing the film developer stock solution for the paper developer stock solution and wondering why no images are coming out in the photo paper.
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bill View Post
    My personal Doh! Confusing the film developer stock solution for the paper developer stock solution and wondering why no images are coming out in the photo paper.
    Was there a huge difference in working solution strengths between the two? I've developed paper in film developer with no problems.

(My first enlarger arrived before my paper developer... I was impatient and wanted to have a go right away so figured "what the hell". I can confirm Ilford Multigrade develops just fine in TMax Developer, although it might not exactly be a recommended combination .)
    Another day goes under; a little bourbon will take the strain...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    It had been some time since I had handled any film in the darkroom so I took the precaution of checking for lightleaks before beginning. After a "fascinating" 10 minutes in the dark, I noted that all was well and began to unload the filmholders. I had the first few loaded into the expert drum and had just opened the next darkslide when my wife called me......on my cell phone.......hanging on my belt. You have no idea how bright a Motorola Razr preview screen is until you have been sitting in complete darkness for 10+ minutes. It also has a dramatic impact on the B+F factor.

"No, dear, your not interrupting anything....." (BTW, thats why the make a Grade 4 setting on VC paper.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My most recent, and basic, foul up was putting the 120 reel in the dev tank upside down. Came out lovely... except for the underdeveloped centimetre wide band along the length of one side of the roll.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    35mm
    The cell phone thing, only it was 8x10 sheet film in a tray. She was calling just to say she loved me.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    When I got my first enlarger all my prints came out black and after re-reading all my books I still couldn't figure what was wrong! The room was light-tight, the developer the right temperature, the MG filters OK... That was when I learned about stopping down the enlarger lens!

Then there was the time I opened a box of paper with the room lights still on! Luckily I clued in before I got to the black bag which saved my butt.

- Justin

-

Page 1 of 26 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin