Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,877   Online: 1160

Is this any use? Or should I just skip this good deal? I guess it can't be subbed in place of sodium bisulfite -)) All I've found is one toner formula that uses Sodium Bisulfate.

Shooter
    Large Format
    yep, sulfate and sulphate are the same thing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Cant be subbed for bisulfite, has too much oxygen in it. Bisulfate- NaHSO4, Bisulfite-NaHSO3.
    Gary Beasley

The formula I'm looking at uses the bisulfite just to lower the pH. From checking it seems the bisulfate is much more acidic?

Shooter
    Large Format
    yes it will be more acidic so you will have to use less. The actual reaction is sodium bisulphate in solution will ionize into sodium hydroxide and sulfuric acid. Depending on your formula if you have an agent that uses the hydroxide then more acid will be left thus lowering your pH.

Soemarko LC-1:
    Stock A
    water 750 ml
    metol 3.0 gr.
    sodium sulfite 60.0 gr
    hydroquinone 3.0 gr
    cold water to make 1.0 liter

Soemarko LC-1:
    Stock B
    sodium bisulfite 10.0 gr
    water to make 1.0 liter

All B does is keep the pH low. That slows things down keeps the contrast low. I have everything but the sodium bisulfite. Problem is I have no other use for the sodium bisulfite so I don't feel like ordering the stuff just to try this out. I've got enough things kicking around just in case I might need them.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The bisulfite is there to help buffer the solution. You could add bisulfate to the same ph, but the buffering capacity would be much less. I wouldn't recommend any substitution.
    art is about managing compromise

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Sodium Bisulfite is a useful chemical to have around. For example you can use it to formulate:

Plain fixer (use this if you intend to tone prints)
    Water - 800ml
    Hypo - 240 grams
    Sodium Bisulfite - 30 grams
    Water to 1000ml

Equivalent of Kodak Hypo Clear
    Water to 1 liter
    Sodium Sulfite - 20 grams
    Sodium Bisulfite - 0.2 grams

FX5b Fine Grain Developer
    Water 700 ml
    Metol 4.5 grams
    Sodium Sulfite - 125 grams
    Kodalk - 2.25 grams
    Sodium Bisulfite - 1.0 gram
    Potassium Bromide - 0.5 gram
    Water t0 1000 ml

</span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Jorge @ Apr 24 2003, 03:06 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> yep, sulfate and sulphate are the same thing. </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
    Yup. Just American and English spelling differences. It&#39;s the same with all Sul[ph&#124;f]ur words. They know demand that students here in Blighty spell it the American way (Sulfur) rather than the original Sulphur. Mad.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin