Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,289   Online: 1044

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I also use a heating pad in my darkroom.Place a good thermometer in your developer and turn off the pad when the solution reaches 20o c.
    You may already have one hanging around.If not the cost outlay is minimum and a heating pad can also be used for medicinal purposes like releaving sore mussels.

Mike

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have a freezing darkroom 55 degrees inthe winter. I nestle my 8x10 in 11x14 trays and when doing 11x14 nestle them in 16x20 and use a hot water bath Once the darkroom warms up with a little heater the water bath holds for a while, Occassionally I'll add a little more warm water. Since I always develope to completion around 2 to 3 minutes timing is not a problem.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just use a space heater. The ambient temperature in the darkroom is about 14-15 degrees if I don't heat it, in the depths of winter. I turn on the heater a couple of hours before I actually want to print (and bear in mind that if you haven't printed in awhile, you'll need probably half an hour anyway to get your trays set up, make your working solutions from your stock solutions, etc.). By the time I'm ready to go the darkroom is comfortable and so are the chemicals.

The real problem I have is the 12-degree water that comes out of the cold water pipe, and the inconsistency of the temperature of the hot water. I need to get one of those temperature monitors/stabilizers, but as yet, nope. My water runs at a lovely 20 degrees at the end of August, which is really convenient, however...
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You and your prints will probably survive processing in the 62 - 65 F range, although you may have to develop them a bit longer.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Time/Temperature chart for Dektol

Not sure how helpful this will be but years ago I came across a time/temperature chart for Dektol 1:2. The chart called for 2 min @ 68 degrees and 3 min @ 62 degrees.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cafeharrar View Post
    ...for the 8 degree drop? Justin
    I've the small top of cylinder Coleman propane catalytic
    heater keeping me and my chemistry at
    working temperature. Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Depending on how large your darkroom is you can always just get the room temperature up to what you want your chemistry to be.
    My darkroom is 3.5 feet by 7.5 feet = really small! I put an electric heating element in there, and keep the temperature at 70*F. Since there is a bit of cold drop from the cold walls I put the heater underneath the wire shelves upon which my developer tray sits. Then I keep a thermometer in the bath, just to make sure I can keep it somewhat constant.
    - Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin