Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,294   Posts: 1,535,471   Online: 1020

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Filter for Kodak HIE?

Hey guys, I've got a couple of rolls of Kodak HIE in my refrigerator which actually have an expiration date of last month. But I'm hoping they're still good.

My question is, will this filter work? Sorry to post an eBay link, but I think this forum's fast enough that I'll get a reply before the auction goes away. From the description;

Premium quality, optical glass filter. The frame is metal, with metal threads, and a female thread on top to allow addtional filters or hoods.

This black 720nm infrared filter will filter out the entire visible spectrum. It is used with black and white infrared films.
    I'm just wondering about the 720nm specification. Is that what I need? I've never shot infrared film, but I would like to before I can't get any more HIE.

While I'm at it, can anyone point me to any information on metering this stuff?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't really know about this filter - I've only used a red #25 with HIE.

A great book to find is Laurie White's on infrared - Amazon has it. Some suggest to set the ISO at 200, put on the filter and let the meter handle it, while others suggest using f16 at 1/125 for anything sunny. I've tried both and can't really tell which is better in more situations. I'd suggest start with one of those and bracket. You never really know what you'll get.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    All you need is a deep red filter (either a #25 or a #29) with HIE. You don't need an expensive infrared cutoff filter. The regular red filters will give you full-on IR insanity with black skies and white vegetation as HIE is very sensitive to IR.

I make a meter reading with a handheld meter (ie, not through the red filter) at ISO 25 or ISO 50. If you meter through the red filter, probably ISO 100 or 200 as mentioned above.
    The universe is a haunted house. -Coil

IOS

Shooter
    35mm
    The filter that you are looking at is for a digital camera. the filter that you want is a 25a red.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by IOS View Post
    The filter that you are looking at is for a digital camera.
    That filter would also be useful for the lower sensitivity IR films like Ilford SFX, Maco/Rollei IR, and efke IR820. And you could use it with kodak HIE. It's just that you don't need it, as a red filter works fine because of the HIE's high IR sensitivity.

I don't know about the quality of it though; anybody use one of these off-brand ebay IR filters?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can use that filter, but the effect is pretty extreme. Not to mention that you can't see through it to focus, unless you are shooting with a RF. The red filters as recommended above are most likely what you want to go with. You can also use a yellow filter for a more mild effect. The straight IR filters are a lot of fun in gel form over a flash, great for shooting in bars or at nighttime street festivals, the flash is barely noticeable. Very cool. This film looks great in Rodinal BTW.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    oooooooooooh I never thought of that...filter over flash so you can actually SEE through the lens

Shooter
    35mm
    Dang, so the Hoya 25A I've had all along will work? I'm an idiot.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Trey View Post
    Dang, so the Hoya 25A I've had all along will work? I'm an idiot.
    It's not entirely obvious...

The reason you'd probably prefer to use the #25, as pointed out, is that you can actually see through your SLR (or view camera) to frame things up if you're using it. The opaque filters (and films requiring them) are a pain because of the need to replace them all the time (except with a rangefinder).

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by erikg View Post
    The straight IR filters are a lot of fun in gel form over a flash, great for shooting in bars or at nighttime street festivals, the flash is barely noticeable. Very cool. This film looks great in Rodinal BTW.
    Never thought of this.... What will the results be like? Like using HIE with red filter on the lens?

Jaap Jan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin