Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,924   Posts: 1,585,008   Online: 1065

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: X-TOL question

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by edebill View Post
    I got hit with this for the first time a couple weeks ago. I mix up a 5L XTOL kit and put it into 5 1L datatainers.
    First, if I'm not mistaken, Datatainer bottles are made from HDPE plastic. My understanding is that this isn't the best substance for a developer container. Ryuji Suzuki has a Web page that covers this topic. I'd therefore recommend you switch to PET plastic, or better yet, glass. This will provide a better seal against air. Of course, this doesn't really explain the pattern of your failure if you used identical bottles but only one went bad....

Second, I use a hand vacuum pump to reduce the air pressure in my (glass) bottles. I've noticed that some lids simply don't produce good seals; I can pump away but I hear air leaking back in or, worse, the seal is so bad that the lid never gets "sucked down" at all. Something like this could account for your pattern, albeit without the vacuum pump; if your bottle and/or lid had some crud on it or if the seal was old, it might just not have sealed properly. This could have let enough air in to cause premature oxidation.

More generally, although five months is within Kodak's stated XTOL lifetime (6 months) and well within the practical limits reported by others (a year or more), you might want to consider using Mytol or some other mix-it-yourself developer so that you can mix up smaller batches. Although I've never used Mytol myself, it's claimed to produce results that are very similar to those of XTOL, so switching to it shouldn't require much adjustment in your photographic practices. You will, though, need to buy a few raw ingredients and a suitable scale. OTOH, I don't know how Mytol's shelf life compares to that of XTOL; smaller batch size might not gain you anything if the shelf life is shorter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use Xtol and DD-X. I haven't ever used stock Xtol (I use it normally one-shot and 1 : 1) but am thinking of trying that with Ilford Delta 3200 at EI 1600. Would there be any advantage to using this over DD-X, or not a lot of difference? And are there any issues with over-cooked highlights when using Xtol at stock (is it a good idea to decrease agitation?).

I also had the experience of a fifth litre bottle suddenly 'dying' but I had had it for almost a year, certainly over six months - I was using black plastic concertina bottles.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    May be a bit late catem: I usually develop Delta 3200 in Xtol 1+1 for 20 minutes at 24 deg. C. Seems to work out well. I agitate for the first minute, then four inversions every minute. That's for an EI of 3200. This additional dilution seems to keep the highlights from blocking up.

Shooter
    35mm
    Wow, what a lot of replies. I had forgotten about posting this thread! Thanks for all the advice guys.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BobNewYork View Post
    May be a bit late catem: I usually develop Delta 3200 in Xtol 1+1 for 20 minutes at 24 deg. C. Seems to work out well. I agitate for the first minute, then four inversions every minute. That's for an EI of 3200. This additional dilution seems to keep the highlights from blocking up.
    Hi Bob, thanks for the reply.

I used Xtol at stock in the end and am pleased with the way the negs look - I agitated quite gently, as your method but 3 inversions per minute. Have to say I haven't tried printing yet, but the highlights look to be O.K. I think I will also try diluted 1:1 to compare.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I mix 5 liters of Xtol and keep it in a container filled to the brim. I use it stock strength, developing two rolls of 135 at a time in a two-reel Paterson tank. After development, I pour the used developer back into the container. I don't replenish. After developing 25 rolls, I add 15% to the development time, and after another 25 rolls again add 15%. (I've devised a simple time-conversion table for this.) After 75 or so rolls, I discard the solution and mix a new batch.

This method is easy to work with and gives quite predictable results and I'm happy with it.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jlehmus View Post
    I mix 5 liters of Xtol and keep it in a container filled to the brim. I use it stock strength, developing two rolls of 135 at a time in a two-reel Paterson tank. After development, I pour the used developer back into the container. I don't replenish. After developing 25 rolls, I add 15% to the development time, and after another 25 rolls again add 15%. (I've devised a simple time-conversion table for this.) After 75 or so rolls, I discard the solution and mix a new batch.

This method is easy to work with and gives quite predictable results and I'm happy with it.
    That is my schedule of increase as well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Does Kodak make a replenisher for Xtol?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Kodak states that Xtol is its own replenisher. (Sounds a little immoral to me!!!!)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So like Dinafine, Edwal 12 and D777 just add fresh Xtrol. Goes on forever? I have know D76 users that claim to have reprenlished D76 for years at a time.
    I used Xtol and liked it but stopped due to sudden death of 5 liters, would have adding fresh Xtol made a differnace?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin