Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,515   Posts: 1,543,726   Online: 899

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    laughing out loud on that one david, thanks i needed a good chuckle today
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If anyone is an expert on this subject it would be the team of Dick and Sylvia. I think that we have the definitive word from them.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pgomena View Post
    The current issue of Photo Techniques has an article by Dick Dickerson and Silvia Zawadski that debunks "grain clumping" in long wet times. They basically say wet time has no effect on apparent graininess.

For my two cents worth, I've found inconsistent temperatures. . . . .
    Peter Gomena
    Micro reticulation which is also better known as grain clumping is usually the result of poor temperature control and inconsistent temperatures between the Dev, Stop-bath, Fix or wash water. Its caused by rapid shrinking & expansion of the emulsion.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
    Actually, the cycles of the moon effect grain more than anything ...
    And women should not be allowed in darkrooms when menstruating!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by argus View Post
    Wanna get some weird stuff? Get your silver stuff contaminated with Pt/PD or vice versa.

Ian's statement sounds more likely than something to do with fixing times.
    Last edited by JBrunner; 12-28-2007 at 12:58 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: added an es.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by richard ide View Post
    Thanks for volunteering Jim.
    I might just do it too.

Personally I don't think wet time matters (within reason; maybe a week in water might matter, but 22 minutes instead of 14 won't matter, I bet).

What I think I will do is do two rolls of film with the same test subjects - identical films, of course. I'll give each a water bath so it's apples to apples. One will get a couple of minutes in the water, then on to development. The other will get a couple of hours in the water bath, then on to development. If this doesn't show a difference then for all practical purposes, wet time is irrelevant unless you are doing day-long stand development.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Long wet times could easily lead to a greater probability of grain clumping occurring as the emulsion will be softer, particularly if wash water temperatures are not controlled properly an often a neglected area fo temperature control.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 12-28-2007 at 02:11 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: missed a word out

Shooter
    35mm
    I feel we haven't quite answered the OP's question except to imply that he can't trust the evidence of his eyes or, more likely I think, that as no-one else has seen this phenomenon then maybe something was different about his process to anyone's else's. He mentions seeing the extra grain after scanning. Can I ask you OP: Did you scan each neg batch on all the previous occasions and on the other occasions with longer fix times you haven't seen this phenomenon or is scanning a departure?

Can you look alternatively look at neg grain under a grain focuser as used for an enlarger? Is the phenomenon still the same? Could it all be connected to the scanning in some way?

Just some thoughts.

I appreciate how frustrating it must be to be in a minority of one.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by argus View Post
    Men as well!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    While doing homework for a post by Patrick Gainer, I found a chart in Haist, Vol I, P 565, which shows the effect of extended times in the fixer for two films. The times were 5mins, 30mins and 60mins. Effectively, anything much over 10mins IMHO would be bad. Since he shows only the 3 widely spaced times, the actual rate is not evident, and would have to be quantitatively determined.

PE

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin