Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,689   Posts: 1,548,780   Online: 1245

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To ILoveTLRs, what sort of tests were you runnung with these films?

As you scanned the film, I am wondering whether you are seeing more real grain, or whether it is grain aliasing giving larger apparent grain.
    Steve

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision" - Maxi Jazz

Website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    While doing homework for a post by Patrick Gainer, I found a chart in Haist, Vol I, P 565, which shows the effect of extended times in the fixer for two films. The times were 5mins, 30mins and 60mins. Effectively, anything much over 10mins IMHO would be bad. Since he shows only the 3 widely spaced times, the actual rate is not evident, and would have to be quantitatively determined.

PE
    Many people use Rapid fixers like Hypam / Ilford Rapid Fixer, or Kodak and other manufacturers equivalents. Its easy to see/demonstrate how even a few minutes in fresh fixer can alter the final density with prints, particularly warm-tone papers, it's far harder to spot what's happening with films.

The Haist tests are possibly just the tip of the iceberg as some fixer formula are faster/stronger and more aggressive than others. May & Baker (Champion) Amfix is one that springs to mind, it's an excellent fixer but times need to be kept to a minimum to prevent the fixer attacking the silver and bleaching the image.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ian;

That is why I am working on my Super Universal Fix. Stay tuned.

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I fix according to the recommendations. I looked through all my referrences and could not find anything about long fixing/wet times and grain. But from The Negative pg. 191: "Excessive fixing must be avoided, since it can lead to sulfiding of the silver, and the fixer may begin to bleach the image by removing silver as well as the unreduced halides. This bleaching is first visible in the low density areas."

I don't pretend to know what "sulfiding of the silver" means---is that the bleaching process mentioned?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Chuck;

Sulfiding and bleaching are not the same thing.

Bleaching removes the image, but sulfiding it means that the tone changes, like toning and the image looks different in different parts of the scale.

PE

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin