Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,748   Posts: 1,515,716   Online: 912

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hello,
    I am interested to learn whether members have any experience of generally good or unfavourable results in using this combination and if so, what film speed was used.
    Roy.
    Roy Groombridge.

Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Roy,
    I've used acros sheet film in PMK and found the combination to be decent, but not exceptional.

I think Acros is an exceptional film and, in 35 mm, would use it instead of tmax or delta 100.

for all film sizes, the best results I got was using it in xtol 1:1.
    Tom

roy, rereading your question, I wouldn't rate acros higher than EI 50.

Tom,

Since you're a man who tests, have you evaluated Acros in comparison to TMX or Delta or the traditional films?

dgh
    David G Hall

David,
    I've used them all, in an extensive, but empirical, sort of way.

Tmax100 (ei 64) is my least favorite. it has the best shadow detail of the three but I've always had a problem with blown out highlights. i've never been able to get a good solid print from it, ie, deep blacks, brilliant whites and everything in between. i always have to print a little soft to hold the whites. given your recent workshop with john sexton, I'd say that i've seen some of his original prints and much prefer the scale of his older stuff (like panther beach) done with tri-x professional.

delta 100 (ei 64) is not as fine grained as tmax, but pretty good. delta (100 and 400) always seems like an ultra fine grained tri-x 400 film. classic leica pj stuff with a good, soft tonal range of grays, never really capable of a strong white if properly exposed for shadows, but great for people shots. not the best for landscapes.

acros is my favorite of the three (ei 32 in sheet, 64 in 35mm, same film, but i compromise a bit with the roll film for hand holdability.) acros gives a great tonal range with good blacks, brilliant whites and almost as fine grained as tmax. acros BTW makes a bad print on AZO. I suspect that it is so fine grained, that you don't get the apparent sharpness of a contact print on BPF or Tri-x. xtol 1:1 is the best combo i've found. acros moderately enlarged on Bergger VCCB is my favorite small/medium format combination. but i usually need something faster like delta 400 or tri-x.

as long as we're hijacking poor roy's thread, I sent you an email a couple weeks ago but didn't get a reply. do you still want a couple of azo/rollo pyro grade 2 prints to show its possible to get enough contrast in neg for this combo? if so, email me address particulars.
    tom

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Tom:

I found that developing TMAX100 rated at an EI of 80 and developed in D23 1:1 for 11.5 minutes @68F (Rotary Processed) tamed the hot highlight problem and still gave excellent sharpness and good shadow detail.

I spent a lot of time coming up with this combination as I am hooked on Readyloads and can develop sheet film and 120 roll film all at the same time

Mike

Thanks for the info, Mike. At this point, I think I'll I keep using Tri-x in large format and tri-x and delta 400 in 35mm. I'm happy with these films.
    tom

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Tom, thanks, that is worth knowing. I shall still have a go in PMK but also the Xtol. I was interested in your comment about the film itself. I like Delta 100 but was induced to try Acros because of a comment on another list. it will be interesting to compare both the film and developers.
    Roy.
    Roy Groombridge.

Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin