Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,682   Posts: 1,482,202   Online: 1053

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Agfa Multicontrast Developer

I've been using Agfa Multicontrast Developer as my "standard paper dev".
    I now have the need to reproduce prints from several negs to match existing prints, is there a recipe lurking whereby I can mix my own Agfa MC developer.
    PS: supplies of this developer here in Oz are, lets say, unreliable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, there is Dektol. Here in the US, the stuff is dirt cheap and it's certainly a good paper developer. I don't know if the results will match exactly with Agfa's Multicontrast developer but it's worth a try. It's tough enough to get an exact match, so close enough might just be good enough.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You could try Ilford Multicontrast Developer---I have used it--it's a concentrated liquid so mix with water and go forth n develope. It also has good lasting properties in a half full bottle of concentrate. I to use Dektol because it is cheap but I think I am going to move to Ilford because they are making a commitment to B&W and Kodak doesn't seam to be making the same commitment.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    To my understanding the manufacturer will send it to the Land of Oz too.
    Be prepared to take 15L.
    (I must admit their sales regulations are ambiguous.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here is a good formula that I've used that is fairly close to Agfa Multicontrast paper developer.

Agfa 125 Neutral Tone Paper Developer

Water (125F/52C)...........................750ml
    Metol............................................3 .0 grams
    Sodium Sulfite (anhydrous)...............44.0 grams
    Hydroquinone.................................12.0 grams
    Sodium Carbonate (anhydrous)..........65.0 grams
    Potassium Bromide...........................2.0 grams
    Water to make................................1,000ml

It is quite close to D-72 and Dektol in formulation. For use dilute 1+2 for development of times 1 to 2 min at 20 C. If you want a softer look, dilute 1+4 and develop for 3 minutes at 68 F/20 C.
    Last edited by Snapshot; 12-29-2007 at 05:25 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Corrected formula.
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Guys,

I have tried the manufacturer, but they sell exclusively through their agent here which is understandable. The agent though is stuck on a stock-turn basis and has been sitting on his existing stockpiles for over two years. Once bitten twice shy. So essentially I am looking to replenish into an existing processor which is currently juiced with Agfa MC Dev.
    Thanks for the interest.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Even if you cannot get the Agfa (branded) developer from your local (country-wide) distributor, there is no reason you can't order it from an online vendor in another "developer friendly" country.

If you order a liquid concentrate developer you are paying for water, though. It would be best to purchase a powder.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    You really should have no problem "topping up" your processor with properly diluted to working strength Ilford Multicontrast Developer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Phototune,
    What do you mean by "topping up" your processor?

Jason B

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi All,
    Thanks for your interest, have received a copy of formula out of Agfa's Anwendungstechnik-Foto marked 12/91. It appears to be similar in make up to Neutol and Agfa-130. Will advise results soon. Stop looking and thanks again, got some mixing to do.

Jason B

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin