Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,659   Posts: 1,481,489   Online: 1105

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm thinking my JUMBO safelights may be too much. Perhaps need to switch down to the JR size. L-O-N-G day today, fresh darkroom start tomorrow.

Included is a shot of my darkroom, maybe this will help out some. Thanks for everyone's input.
    Last edited by Rolleijoe; 06-15-2009 at 09:35 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    That's quite a lot of safe lights and that's only 1meter or so away from your paper it looks like? Seems a little too close to me.
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use the older kodak "bullet" type safelights with 8 watt bulbs. They point at the ceiling and have very dim output. One in the dry area and one in the wet area. Those bulbs look pretty big to me. Can you move them to a location behind the work area? tim

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    There are a total of 7 of these in the darkroom, and I only have 1 on (the farthest away from the enlarger), so I'm not understanding why there should still be so much problems.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by noseoil View Post
    I use the older kodak "bullet" type safelights with 8 watt bulbs. They point at the ceiling and have very dim output. One in the dry area and one in the wet area. Those bulbs look pretty big to me. Can you move them to a location behind the work area? tim
    Tim, the 1 safelight out of all 7 that I am using is in the farthest back corner about 11' away from the enlarger, but maybe 5 from the wet side. They cost a bundle, but I think I can switch them to the JR model which should lower the amount of light.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fschifano View Post
    May be leaking white light? I have yet to see the enlarger that doesn't leak some light.
    Mine doesn't ..... Anymore. I have it taped up, shielded and surrounded by black walls.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Joe, just a thought about what may not be "fogging" of the paper. Have you checked your chemistry lately? Is your developer fresh or has it "turned" on you? Can't help but wonder since your paper edges are still clean. tim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have the same safelights as you do rolleijoe. I only have one though, but my darkroom is about 1.5 times the size of your enlarger table so it's plenty. It's in a in-ceiling fixture, however, so I get less light from it. But it works fine, even with Fotokemika Varycon.

One way to get fogged paper with clean edges as you say would be to keep the paper in the darkroom permanently. The chemistry fumes in there will fog the paper. Then during development, if the whole print isn't submerged all the way, but the edges are 'sticking up' and agitation is poor, then what happens to you could definitely happen.
    Can you post a scan of one of the 'unhappy' prints?

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by noseoil View Post
    Joe, just a thought about what may not be "fogging" of the paper. Have you checked your chemistry lately? Is your developer fresh or has it "turned" on you? Can't help but wonder since your paper edges are still clean. tim
    Thanks Tim, but I'd just mixed everything up fresh before the session. After about 2-3 days of non-use, I'll throw them all out and mix fresh again.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    I have the same safelights as you do rolleijoe. I only have one though, but my darkroom is about 1.5 times the size of your enlarger table so it's plenty. It's in a in-ceiling fixture, however, so I get less light from it. But it works fine, even with Fotokemika Varycon.

One way to get fogged paper with clean edges as you say would be to keep the paper in the darkroom permanently. The chemistry fumes in there will fog the paper. Then during development, if the whole print isn't submerged all the way, but the edges are 'sticking up' and agitation is poor, then what happens to you could definitely happen.
    Can you post a scan of one of the 'unhappy' prints?

- Thomas
    That's what I've been doing, is keeping all the paper in the darkroom permanently (even fresh unopened packs of 25sh 16x20). When I put a print into any of the 4 chemicals, I make sure it's completely submerged, and then agitate the tray as well.

Unfortunately I'm still waiting on my scanner to arrive from eBay (old Agfa scanners went kaput with the company), and since switching to iMac, have had to start all over again in some areas.

But I will as soon as possible. I've had unopened paper in there for months as well as the box of 8x10 I used for test prints. The AC stays on all the time inside, which is why I left the paper in there. Where would you suggest I store the paper?

I'm about to order some Foma 542 and Varycon 20x24.

Thanks very much,

Rolleijoe

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin