Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,292   Posts: 1,535,458   Online: 1018

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

As mentioned in an earlier post, you might check your enlarger for light leaks. In looking at your enlarger table setup, I'd also suggest painting the walls and ceiling surrounding your enlarger flat black. Any light leaking from the enlarger and bouncing off the walls will contribute to fog. Light from the lens bouncing off the work surface and the walls will contribute to fog. So will burning in a print with a hole in a card that has a white or other reflective surface facing the paper. Use only a card that is black on both sides. This may all sound pretty picky, but if following any or all of these steps reduces stray light by only 5%, you've reduced potential sources of fog.

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Click the link Bruce (photobackpacker) gave you and follow the instructions (or use the similar one on the Ilfordphoto site). It will tell you 100% if it is your safelight or not: no need for all this speculation. I do this every time I use a new paper - it takes 20 minutes.

As long as you do not keep chemicals such as the smelly type of sepia toner whose fumes can (in theory at least) fog film and paper I can't see any reason not to keep paper in the darkroom. I keep most of mine in a spare fridge with my film in my kitchen but leave some (the larger sheets) in the darkroom without any problems.

Good luck, Bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Rolleijoe,

I store all my paper outside the darkroom. I have an adjacent room in my basement that I keep de-humidified in the summer. That seems to work well for storing them. Something similar to that is a good location.

- Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Rolleijoe View Post
    That's what I've been doing, is keeping all the paper in the darkroom permanently (even fresh unopened packs of 25sh 16x20). When I put a print into any of the 4 chemicals, I make sure it's completely submerged, and then agitate the tray as well.

Unfortunately I'm still waiting on my scanner to arrive from eBay (old Agfa scanners went kaput with the company), and since switching to iMac, have had to start all over again in some areas.

But I will as soon as possible. I've had unopened paper in there for months as well as the box of 8x10 I used for test prints. The AC stays on all the time inside, which is why I left the paper in there. Where would you suggest I store the paper?

I'm about to order some Foma 542 and Varycon 20x24.

Thanks very much,

Rolleijoe
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob F. View Post

As long as you do not keep chemicals such as the smelly type of sepia toner whose fumes can (in theory at least) fog film and paper I can't see any reason not to keep paper in the darkroom. I keep most of mine in a spare fridge with my film in my kitchen but leave some (the larger sheets) in the darkroom without any problems.

Good luck, Bob.
    Thanks Bob, the only chemistry I keep out there in bottles is stop bath, Polymax-T, and Zonal Pro wash aid. Plus some Studional and R09. The Rodinal, HC-110 and all others are in the house.

My film stays in the freezer in the house, but there's no room in my darkroom for a large enough size fridge to store the larger (20x24) paper in.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I just ordered the change from Safelight Jumbos to safelight Jrs. Hopefully that should have a difference with the lower wattage. My darkroom is a fully enclosed (including ceiling) room built within the garage only using 1 exterior garage wall. The rest of the walls are all insulated and finished on the outside, so there are no leaks. All leaks were calked/taped up immediately after construction. The ext garage wall has a hole for the AC, but that's been taken care of as well.

Hopefully this is all that'll need to be done, and as soon as the new safelights arrive, I'll let everybody know.

Thanks for everyone's help. + HNY

Rolleijoe

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin