Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,887   Posts: 1,520,732   Online: 1094

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Is it my Safelight???

On the last few pages of Varycon Fiber, the white border is very white, but the rest of the print seems almost fogged. I've cut down to 1 safelight (Delta Jumbo), and even with all washes etc, I still end up with the odd numbered stained print, and gray rather than white in the areas next to the borders.

Any clues, or am I just missing something completely? I've wracked my brain till it's mush on this one.

TIA,

Rolleijoe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know anything about your safelight or paper but a sure fire test to see if the Delta Jumbo is fogging your paper is to take a small piece (4x4) and put a quarter on it.Turn on the safelight for 5 minutes.Develop the paper to see if there is a difference in whiteness between covered and uncovered.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It could be fog. Often you need a certain minimum amount of exposure before the fog will become evident, which would explain the white borders.

Try another identical exposure with the safelight off, and see if it's different.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Are you using Red Light ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was just going to say what Guillaume beat me to. You should use red safelight with Fotokemika papers. The orange ones will fog paper at one point or another.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    It could be fog. Often you need a certain minimum amount of exposure before the fog will become evident, which would explain the white borders.
    This is true - and it is also why you should slightly fog the paper before doing your safelight test as recommended earlier. Otherwise you could get a 'safe' test but still have fogged highlights in the print.
    Tim

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks everyone, I'll give all the recommendations a try tomorrow. Yes, I'm using a Delta Jumbo RED safelight. I have 8 of them in the darkroom but only use 1 at a time due to fogging 2 years ago when darkroom was built. May have to switch to the smaller size delta bulbs and see what happens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One thing to keep in mind about fogging. Paper has a threshold, just like film. Once a paper is exposed, it will fog more readily than a completely unexposed sheet. The quarter test is fine for unexposed paper, but an exposed sheet has a lower threshold. tim

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by noseoil View Post
    One thing to keep in mind about fogging. Paper has a threshold, just like film. Once a paper is exposed, it will fog more readily than a completely unexposed sheet. The quarter test is fine for unexposed paper, but an exposed sheet has a lower threshold. tim
    This is absolutely correct. The "quarter test" is quick and easy but even after passing it, you can have a severe fogging problem.

This test takes time but it will reveal the true extent of your fogging problem:

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/consu...Safelite.shtml

All safelights will eventually cause fog. Your job is to keep the illumination level low enough and your print handling process fast enough so that your print will be in the fixer long before you hit the safelight fogging threshold.

Have you checked your enlarger for light leaks? Put a mirror on your enlarging easel, put a lens cap on your enlarging lens, turn off all the lights and then turn your enlarging lamp on. Inspect you enlarger from every possible angle - including from the easel area. You may be leaking white light.
    Last edited by photobackpacker; 01-01-2008 at 09:37 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by photobackpacker View Post
    Inspect you enlarger from every possible angle - including from the easel area. You may be leaking white light.
    May be leaking white light? I have yet to see the enlarger that doesn't leak some light.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin