Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,554   Posts: 1,573,139   Online: 765

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IR Uses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The film is not that difficult to use, and remember that professional forensic photographers are -professional- and hopefully know what they are doing!
    Having worked as a forensic chemist with troopers doing the photography, I'm not going near that statement.

BUT, IR film can be used to find gunshot residue around a bullet hole in dark clothing. I only saw it done during my internship (those guys were good), but it did work ok. The reason to do it would be to see how far away from the target/victim the muzzle of a gun was. In the lab where I worked, we used paper sensitized with chemicals that would react with the residues, so we didn't try the IR.
    IR can also be used in document exams, as mentioned. They have very cool gadgets for that now, though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What is the IR-output of ordinary flashes? Maybe an IR-filter over the flash would work?

/matti

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by matti View Post
    What is the IR-output of ordinary flashes? Maybe an IR-filter over the flash would work?

/matti
    Good question! Anyone?

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    There were IR filters for the Metz 45 CT-series, and I think for several others including my Vivitar 265.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by matti View Post

/matti
    In my experience with HIE IR output of electronic flash is same as for sunlight. I've used Photogenics and I meter the flash as for sunlight, personally I used EI of ~80, dev in D76 stock at 20C for the Kodak standard time. A couple of studio pics are in my APUG gallery.
    All history now of course since the film is discontinued.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    This might be useful:

http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/text-infrared-filter.html

(making an improvised infrared filter)

Bob M.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin