Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,473   Posts: 1,570,972   Online: 807

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Fixer longevity : how many rolls/prints?

I am sure this would had been writen about before but I cannot find the answer.

I have some Ag-fix test strips, but I would prefer to have a rough rule to monitor fixer usage rather than test.
    Therefore, I have two questions for people who count rolls/prints when using their fixer.

How many rolls do you typically process with your batch of fixer?

Same question with RC and FB prints, how many prints to you count before you discart the fixer?

Thank you

Delphine
    Last edited by delphine; 01-01-2008 at 05:38 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Spelling mistake

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The fixer manufacturers generally give this information in terms of the number of square metres that their product will handle. For film it is common to use the clearing time of a test portion of film to check it's serviceability.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You might want to consider a two bath fixing for both film and paper.

Not only will it give you better fixing but it extends the life of your fixer to.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Ilford say that 1 litre of their Rapid Fixer should be sufficient for 24 rolls of 35mm film. I've read somewhere that a roll of 35mm has about the same surface area as a sheet of 10x8 (I haven't done the maths though), so it should also last for about 24 sheets of 10x8. However to be safe I mix up fresh fixer after 15 sheets of 10x8 (i.e. about 15 rolls) which works out at about 10p per sheet/roll. Maybe I'm using more fixer than I need, but it's not the most expensive stuff in the world and I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    May be I should have said that I use Fotospeed fixer, and it does not indicate the film capacity on the bottle.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    you might consider doing a clip test with your favorite film

... clip off a piece and leave it out to be exposed.
    before you process any film in new fixer, put ur clip of film in the bath
    see how long it takes to clear ...
    and when it takes 2x the original time to clear, change your fixer ...

good luck!

john

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi delphine

I only use my fixer for film the one time. This is because I do not want silver particles sticking to the emulsion of my film. The fixer does not go to waste though, as I then use it in my Nova upright for print making. It will be used for the one printing session, about seven sheets of paper, sometimes more, sometimes less. Then, before the next printing session I will test it, and then if O.K, which it usually is, I will use it for the second printing session and then discard. If the print is for some one else, it is fresh fixer every time.

Happy New Year and see you in about twelve weeks time

Regards

Stoo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can also use a product like Edwal Hypo-check to test it. The is a good discussion on testing fixer capacity here;
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum43/4...-question.html

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by delphine View Post
    May be I should have said that I use Fotospeed fixer, and it does not indicate the film capacity on the bottle.
    In that case you are reduced to testing as you go, for you cannot assume that it is the same capacity / dilution as other products.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Delphine, I agree with Stoo Batchelor. Fixer is a relatively inexpensive chemical and to use it as Stoo suggests guarantees that film and paper will be properly fixed without having to worry about the longevity of the film and paper you have processed.
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin