Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,864   Online: 950

Camera door opened--what would you do.

So I just spent the afternoon with my OM-3Ti and it the rewind on the motor drive and it finished after a few seconds. I then manually checked and their seemed to be no resistance.....I opened the back and quickly closed it realizing the film wasn't in the canister.

My question: I know I lost the "horizontal" film but most of it was on the take up spool. Is it wound tight enough to keep it light tight or not?

I guess I could always just develop it but was curious about the answer.

--Jeffrey
    --Jeffrey

www.jsteinbergphoto.com (my avocation)
    www.reversis.com (my vocation)

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey A. Steinberg View Post
    So I just spent the afternoon with my OM-3Ti and it the rewind on the motor drive and it finished after a few seconds. I then manually checked and their seemed to be no resistance.....I opened the back and quickly closed it realizing the film wasn't in the canister.

My question: I know I lost the "horizontal" film but most of it was on the take up spool. Is it wound tight enough to keep it light tight or not?

I guess I could always just develop it but was curious about the answer.

--Jeffrey
    The short answer is develop it. The variables are vast- how fast the film is, how opaque the backing of that particular emulsion is, how much light hit it, and from what angle, how tightly that particular camera winds, etc. I suspect that if most of the roll was wound, you may have some salvagable frames. Often, it's not as bad as you think.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You will likely lose the outward facing portion of the first 3 or 4 layers, and will probably have some edge fogging farther in. Assuming a fully used 36 exp roll, 1 - 30 or so will probably be ok, as a guess. If the take-up spool doesn't completely cover the edges, then the edge fogging will be a little worse.
    But, as Jason says, you might as well process it, you can always claim the light streaks are artistic intention.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    definitely develop it...

it's happened to me and I got usable shots....some images needed to be cropped to eliminate fogged areas, but ya never know how lucky you are until you try

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The dumbest thing I ever did was to rip the film out of the camera and throw it away after I did what you did. Ever since I've just hoped for the best, and developed it anyway.....not that I do such things very often..:rolleyes: There has never been a totally useless roll as a result.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yep the only thing to do---DEVELOPE it!!! been there done that---all was not lost!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I did that once. 12-exposure roll too. 10 images were usable, and at least six had no visible evidence of damage.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Thanks, guys. Its what I thought.
    --Jeffrey

www.jsteinbergphoto.com (my avocation)
    www.reversis.com (my vocation)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    The late Dean Collins told of being in school in Europe and being on a photography field trip. He opened the back of his camera and upon seeing the un-rewound film, hastily slammed it shut again. His German professor happened to be standing beside him and, with a deep accent, said: "It isn't the shutter speed, Mr Collins - It's the aperature."

You will normally be able to salvage the pictures on the start of the roll.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin