Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,050   Posts: 1,561,112   Online: 859

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RIchardn View Post
    Thanks. I have seen several references to semi stand development in these forums before but I must admit I don't understand what it is or what the advantage is. I assume it is development in dilute developer for a long period with little agitation what agitation would you use and what would be the advantage of this technique?
    Richard
    Take a look at this thread:
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/5...e-rodinal.html

Cheers

C

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use the same time, agitation and dilution for Acros 120 and 35mm in Rodinal. That works out to 6ml of Rodinal for the 120 tank, and about 4ml for the 35mm tank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Richard, as mentioned in the thread above, semi-stand development can have a nice effect on film. Some films react with "edge effects" or the halo-like edge seen between shadow and light. Most films will show an increase in apparent sharpness, sometimes with more pronounced grain.

Increased dilution with decreased agitation will allow high values to build more slowly, while the shadow values seem to gain density at a more constant rate. This type of development can work well in contrasty light, or with flat light. While this may seem to be somewhat contradictory, it holds up in the real world. In flat light, a long, slow development can help with added contrast in shadows and better separation in the tonal scale. The variable here can be simply with agitation cycles.

I use Pyrocat-hd with a 1:1:150 dilution for most things now, as I'm not too concerned with longer development times (strictly an amateur). The variation I use between minimal agitation and semi-stand is simply the frequency between agitation cycles. Minimal agitation uses 3 minutes between cycles, semi-stand is usually at 1/3's of total development time. Initial agitation is critical for this technique. You must have an even wetting of the film and initial agitation, or streaking and uneven development will be the result. Check some of the threads on APUG for more information. My gallery has a few examples in the recent uploads. Best, tim

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin