Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,277   Posts: 1,534,844   Online: 764

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images

Question about ilford VC filters

I'm looking into purchasing a set of Ilford VC filters for my enlarger. I have a filter drawer above the lens that measures 2 3/4" x 2 3/4".

Question is, is it better to have the filter placed above the lens, or below? The filter set for below the lens looks pretty nice and easy to use. But if necessary, I could always by the 6x6" filter set and cut them down to fit my filter drawer, though I wouldn't have the nice plastic handles that the below the lens kit offers. Suggestions?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Either way is OK I think

Some may say to not put anything below the lens, others disagree. I use 6x6 above the lens. If you cut down the filters for your size filter drawer you will end up with 2 sets of filters for the price of 1
    regards
    Erik

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Having no obstruction between the lens and the paper is a better scenario--how much better IDK, but optically speaking, I've always read it's better to have the filter above the lens.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    To save anyone the bother of trimming 6" filters to 2.75", just send them to me. I'll gladly return two sets of 2.75" filters to you, and keep the two sets for me.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    If you use split filtering for Variable Contrast printing it would probably be easier to use the below the lens filters, depending on your enlarger.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Shiu View Post
    If you use split filtering for Variable Contrast printing it would probably be easier to use the below the lens filters, depending on your enlarger.

Jon
    Jon,

I so alot of split filter printing. Do you use the below the lens filter kit? Any comments?

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    When I did split filter printing on a Beseler 23CIIXL, I just placed the my unframed gelatin filters on the below the lens filter holder. But I did always want a set of those Ilford framed filters. Now I use a dial-in filtration Saunders VCCE enlarger, but rarely do split filter any more (except to dodge shadow areas with a no. 5 filter held in hand).

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Above the lens in a filter drawer is preferred. Why unnecessarily introduce something into the optical path? Makes no sense most of the time. Ilford filters are available in the 3x3 inch size at considerably less cost than the 6x6 inch filters.

Shooter
    35mm
    Above the film is preferred(not just above the lens). You will be blessed with sharper images.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you have a filter drawer you ought to be able to change the filters for spilt contrast printing out any problems . I have older Dupont and Kodak filter with a filter holder for below the lens as well as new 6X6 Iflord filters that I just put in the variable condenser housing of my D3 above the lens, the below filters are more likely to show dust. My below the lens filter holder is also too small for some of my long lens such as a 135 or 162mm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin