Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,713   Posts: 1,514,723   Online: 842
      
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 13 of 13

Thread: Paper problem?

  1. #11
    DAK
    DAK is offline

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Tucson
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    39
    Images
    3
    This sounds allot like a safelight problem, but IDK. Run a safelight check on your set up. It's a good idea to do this every so often, especially when you bring a new paper in to the darkroom. Safelight problems are the cause of more crappy printing than all other things combined. There are allot of threads in the archives that will tell you how to do this. Use the method that involves preflashing your paper. One paper may have a problem with your safelight, another may not, so just because one kind of paper has no problem, doesn't mean anything.

    No safelight problem? Take a sheet of the offending paper, and process it directly, in the dark, without exposing it, if the artifact is still there, it is the paper. If it isn't there, give another sheet a bit of a flash, just enough to get it started grey (no image) and process that (because some things need a baseline exposure to show up), and so on, until you eliminate enough variables that you know what is going on, otherwise, you are just milking the guppy.
    I have finally done the tests JBrunner suggested. The sheet processed without exposure came out pure as the driven snow. The sheets flashed under the room light with safelights off showed the same pattern as those exposed under the enlarger -- including a sheet from a newly arrived packet of paper. I got to thinking it might be a processing problem rather than an enlarger or paper problem. I had been using PF's TDA developer and was now using Liquidol. I hadn't cleaned the TDA residue from the tray and thought there might be some chemical reaction going on between it and the Liquidol. So I scrubbed the tray clean and, voila, the flashed paper came out just fine. Then I tested the safelights using Carson Graves' method and they are not a problem.

  2. #12
    JBrunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    6,780
    Sweet. Glad you figured it out. Darkroom gremlins are a hassle.
    Last edited by JBrunner; 01-10-2008 at 06:06 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: changed a iy to a yu.

  3. #13
    DAK
    DAK is offline

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Tucson
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    39
    Images
    3
    Correction. I said I had been using PF TDA. I don't know if that even exist. What I meant to say was PF TD-30.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin